Black Mountain

Lake Tomahawk, May 8, 2024

Thursday, September 14, 2023

Just remembered these

 Our two Bento Box lunches...mine with scallop teriyaki...only had cooked onions in with them. but I found brown rice available for $1 more...they do it good!  Miso soup comes with it and was just right!




My friend had shrimp tempura..and liked her white rice.

You'll have to imagine the tofu and teriyaki entre' with brown rice, because that photo disappeared. Here's the last one I had, before learning about brown rice! My friend had 3 meals out of this wonderful mountain of veggies, and a bit of tofu.

I have enjoyed Sake Sushi...and will be going back. As soon as the tooth is repaired

On a hot hot Tues I spent a couple of hours in free air-conditioning at Ingles grocery, eating one of their banana muffins, and drinking a Starbucks decaf Americano. (no dealing with ac mold on that hot day!) I asked the kids at Starbucks how old they though I might be. One safely refused. The other guessed 73. I would like that, being 81 now.  He/she asked how my joints are (all of 17 maybe as much as 20 him/herself) and bemoaned arthritis in their family. I showed everything moves just fine (without divulging the joint on one little finger which is all swollen and askew). I'm pretty grateful for my mobility!


Today's quote:

Eyes have busied themselves exclusively with seeing although they can hear better than ears whenever they join forces with what’s outside the mind’s perimeter. 

Etel Adnan,  painter, poet, and philosopher  (February 24, 1925–November 14, 2021) 

Thanks to Inge Look, Norwegian post card artist...





11 comments:

  1. Hello,
    The box lunches look yummy, except for the tofu. The last image is cute. Take care, have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha...tofu can be prepared so well, but then it sounds and looks kind of strange...I understand.

      Delete
  2. The Bento Boxes look great. My favourite Japanese food is tempura. You are doing well at your age Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm, I love tempura too! Thanks, I'm very grateful each day that this old bod keeps on working!

      Delete
  3. It's kind of like high protein jello...can be fried with lots of different sauces, and you never know it is completely tasteless by itself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love tofu! We have it so often. There is a local tofu shop here on the north coast that makes tofu. It's the best!
    It's sweet that one of the employees at Starbucks asked how your joints are with concern about arthritis in the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well shucks, that reply went out the window I guess. Try again. I haven't ever had freshly made tofu...always buy extra firm in the little plastic tub with some water to cushion it. Does it taste different? I wonder where our restaurant got their's. The young baristas were very nice, except they also were baby sitting an annoying 8-9 year old...which is why I took their minds off of that to me.

      Delete
  5. What is a bento box, Barb? They all look so good. As for aging, yes, today my bad knee is really playing up, and I won't even talk about my poor swollen knuckles. But onward and hopefully upright we go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Japanese people take their lunches in bento boxes, which aren't exactly like these little boxes at the restaurant. I've seen a cooking show where layers of different kinds of food were placed...hot at the time I guess, into a little box, very compactly all pushed into it, and it became a lunch box. I like the condiments of fresh shaved ginger and the green hot sauce that I can never remember the name of...it goes well with sushi rolls (rice with veggies on these). I'm sure no expert! Hope your hands and knee behave themselves. You do so much by my reading of your blogs...nothing is getting you down!

      Delete
  6. It was brave of you to ask them that question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the one where the kids could guess my age. I'm probably older than their nearest kin...so felt pretty safe. A hundred might have been a surprise though!

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.