Black Mountain

Lake Tomahawk, May 8, 2024

Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Blessings and singing

 Entering the Quaker Meeting House, an aromma of making popcorn greeted us last Saturday afternoon. We gradually met in two areas of chairs...one for the Sahara Peace Choir, and one for friends and family. This hadn't been a publicly announced program, and Helen and I were happy to be friends to enjoy this!


I liked fining this poster ready for another march, as Quakers are known for their social actions.


Here the choir members get ready by having all the sheets of music they will be singing in honor of the various divine feminine godesses who represent waters.



A lovely wall hanging in the food prep area of the meeting house.




An easy sharing of beautiful voices. I was able to meet a few new friends. I have some old friends from when I sang with this choir, the name of which is a combination of the two major religious forces from feminine mothers Sarah and Hagar - in the Bible. Sah-hara Peace Choir. May there be a coming together for these two again in peace.


These three beautiful females represent three generations, with our blinking grandmother having her birthday this day!

Here we find out what the popcorn was all about...an environmental way to send blessings onto the Swannanoa River.


Some of us stayed on shore, while later (not shown here) others indulged in walking into the shallow rockbottomed river.





An older view of the river taken at the same locatiom 2016

Another view of the river, taken 2019.

Today's quote:

Pray, verb. 

To ask the laws of the universe to be annulled on behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy. 

-Ambrose Bierce, writer (1842-1914)


17 comments:

  1. It looks like a delightful event although I am thinking of the disconnect between Quakerism and singing about goddesses. đŸ˜€

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sahara Peace Choir is as much about peace making as are the Quakers.

      Delete
    2. Oh, the Christian vs goddess thing, you must mean.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a nice event, a lovely group of ladies! Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...there are plenty of Friends in this area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that, just having seen lots of your posts which include the Amish. I guess the Friends aren't as obvious to see as those riding in buggies along roads.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it, and was glad it was indoors...where it was a bit cooler. And then down by the Swannanoa River was pretty cool too.

      Delete
  5. That looks like such a lovely gathering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a small enough group that I introduced myself to a couple of people I didn't know. That's pretty rare for me these days!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I guess that depends upon the circles of your own musical enjoyment, the rituals that we have been practicing for years are very fulfilling for us.

      Delete
  7. So what made you stop singing with the group? Explain the popcorn in the river, please. For the fish to eat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My voice has pretty much gone with the wind (aging). I think popcorn is to offer something that's edible and also easy for us to throw across the water...with whatever meanings we wish to give to our gestures.

      Delete
  8. I love this post. So peaceful and joyful. My mother's maiden name was Hagger, derived from Hagar. I always joked about the comic strip but had never heard of this goddess until now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hagar would probably roll over in her grave at being called a goddess. In the Bible, Sarah had not had a child (wife of Abraham I think) and gave her handmaiden, Hagar to her husband so he might have a child. Thus Ismael was born who is considered a prophet of the Muslims. Then to her surprise Sarah had Isaac, who was the patriarch of Jewish and Christian religions. So when we consider combining the two mothers' names, Sarah and Hagar, into Sahara, the goal is to consider the peace needed between all three major Abrahamic religions. At least that is how I remember it.
      I'm sure your mother was a goddess for many other reasons!

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.