Black Mountain

Lake Tomahawk, May 8, 2024

Saturday, July 29, 2023

The porch garden at end of July 2023

 

Some cuttings seem to be doing ok in the square bed. I had to severely prune the begonia (see below) and just stuck a stem in the dirt to root. We'll see if that works.


Nobody really likes the afternoon sun, so coleus is kept most of the time where just morning sun hits it.

Another blogger suggested when I top off the buds to throw them in my dinner, so basil buds were a good addition to leftover stew that night.

The hanging geranium continues to produce blooms, and survives the heat up there! I have to make sure to flood it with water at least every other day. Our forecast rain storms seldom happen!

I tried hanging up the peppermint plant, because it's got these long stems going out so gracefully, but it was too hot, so it's back on the porch floor.

The Nonstop Joy Begonia looked so beaten down after the one storm we had last week. So I've tried taking off all the sad looking flowers and leaves. But yesterday I cut every one of the growth buds on the stems, like I do on the Basil. It wouldn't really help the plant to keep growing longer stems that just fall down. So maybe now it can make some new growth closer to the stem. That's my fingers crossed.

Here's the porch yesterday. But I've switched the mint and the coleus as hanging planters, to keep both of them happy. Neither one can take that afternoon sun that comes directly at them. This was taken in the morning.

I confess I haven't worked much on plants...2 orchids are demanding to be repotted, and I hang my head in shame. 

Today's quote:

Fearing no insult, asking for no crown, receive with indifference both flattery and slander, and do not argue with a fool. 

-Aleksandr Pushkin, poet, novelist, and playwright (1799-1837)

13 comments:

  1. ...I have lots of shady spots and my begonias and coleus are happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for them. Yes, this heat has really hit some plants hard. The little lavendar and the geranium are just chugging along!

      Delete
  2. Hello,
    We are having to water our plants a lot lately, these hot days are too much. I would like some fresh basil. Take care, have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry I can't share the fresh basil with you...I sure wood. This heat is hard on everything, everyone.

      Delete
  3. My porch garden is similar to yours--geranium, coleus, basil, begonias--plus some parsley and rosemary and lavender. And a fuchsia. Lots fo pleasure in a small space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love fuchsias, and the last rosemary died...so those are the only things I don't have in common with your porch. So post a photo sometime on your blog! Please.

      Delete
  4. How pretty. It is so relaxing to mess about with plants. I pinched off some chrysanthemums and stuck them in dirt and now have new little plants. I hope your ant roots too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a great thing to get chrysanthemums already. There are none around here in summer. Give us a few more weeks though. Even with this heat. I do like to have a pot of them for fall.

      Delete
  5. You do well with container gardening, both inside and out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. But the begonia continued to die, so I've had to cut all the dead stems back. Maybe the root will regrow...big maybe.

      Delete
  6. I like the quote. I try to resist the temptation to argue with fools on the Internet.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.