Black Mountain

Lake Tomahawk, May 8, 2024

Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Climate Conversation continued

This shows you the kind of work we do...talking about bulk buying of ethically produced goods...here the sunshine of S.'s shirt matches a roll of "Who Gives a Crap" tissue wrap. I think it's made of bamboo (the tissue.) After I try it I might go in for a small part of a bulk purchase.


 Several of us decided it was a beautiful day and we'd replenish our calories with my favorite Mexican restaurant, Ole' Guacamoles.


We enjoyed sitting out under these "whatever they're called." 


No that's not razor wire along the handrail on the bridge...but twinkle lights.


And the Flat Creek flows on it's way to the Swannanoa River.

PS, I decided to go back to basic white background, whew, what a relief. And I couldn't wait till my birthday to take down my photo.

TOday's Quote:

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

 -Saul Bellow, writer, Nobel laureate (1915-2005)

18 comments:

  1. Not sure when it is, Happy Birthday Barbara. Th Mexican restaurant looks nice. Take care, have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not till late August when I'll chalk up another birthday! Thanks for early wishes. It is fairly nice, expecially eating on that patio. In the rest of the areas they pipe loud Mexican music which makes it hard for us to hear each other.

      Delete
  2. We use the Bamboo loo roll from Who Gives A Crap... lovely stuff!! Especially as
    Pirate has bowel cancer and a tender rear...an Australian company, with ethical roots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful to have your recommendation. We shall probably get up an order by our next meeting in August. How big an order do you usually put in?

      Delete
  3. ...thank goodness for shade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it wonderful to have simple respite from the sun? Wish everyone did, but those working out in fields don't have that relief.

      Delete
  4. I like the white background. Much easier for me to read and see the photos. I never heard of Who Gives A Crap tissue... a great name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, glad to be back to black on white too! Those horrible blocks of black background on comment replies was just too much for me. I'm planning to order some of that tissue.

      Delete
  5. Love to sit outside for meals. With all our rain we have had a hard time managing meals outside. Yesterday we had another 1/2 inch from a thunderstorm. We had 3 inches on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, so wet there. But we're all in for the heat soon, coming off the middle of the country.

      Delete
  6. I do love that quote. I am stealing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fine...the author isn't myself, so I have no claim to it. It does speak to these times, doesn't it?

      Delete
  7. The Mexican restaurant looking inviting. Nice that the tables are in the shade. Never heard of Who gives a crap tissues. We have recycled tissues here at Aldi's that we buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I haven't checked out the ones at Aldi's. Somehow I haven't shopped there in ages. Wonder why... I do like these tables that aren't enclosed where the music is played so loudly!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. It is, and I don't know why it wasn't among the 14 best restaurants in Black Mountain (chosen by whom?)

      Delete
  9. Thanks for highlighting an ethical choice for a daily necessity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And my friend Bette who's compiling this list ordered it, and it comes without any plastic in the shipping as well.

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.