Black Mountain

Lake Tomahawk, May 8, 2024

Friday, July 21, 2023

Latest treatment option, maybe

 




A very weird appointment Monday morning at the pulmonologist. No other patients waiting at 9:30 am. And there also were no nurses checking in patients, weighing them, taking their temps, reviewing their meds, doing a BP and Pulse Ox test. Nada.

I heard my doctor's walk through the wall behind me, which has preceded his entering the exam room for years. He called my name and we went into an exam room and discussed my frustration with chronic coughing which tires me out - thus ever bronchiectasis is.  He put me on a short term antibiotic, and said it was time to start using the vest.

I got it from a friend who has since died. She got it from an organization which funded her, but she'd never used it (they are quite expensive, and used for Cystic Fibrosis patients also.)

So I dug it out of all it's cute suitcases and figured out what went where. It actually included a owners manual in English. But I didn't tackle the actual wearing of it and looking seriously at the different settings on the machine itself (which must weigh 40 pounds easily!) Fortunately it lit up when I plugged it in, and started blowing. I unplugged it till I figured out how to stop and start the mechanism (that button I'm pointing at).


At first I thought it would be too small, but it's all velcrowed together, shoulders and around the chest. So I finally got into it.



And put the hose to the intake of the vest, and turned it on. Loud, I shook everywhere. No reading here. Maybe can watch TV. Instead of my doctor's recommended 30 min. per session, I just did 5 to start. It worked...helped me cough up the stuff that's stuck down in the furthest recesses of my lungs. 

But the next day I didn't like how it felt to have my entire body shake so much, so I'm wanting to make sure it won't cause damage to my inner organs besides my lungs. Heart is highest on the list. I tried to call the pulmonologist's office, but they were having phone troubles. I want some verification that it won't cause problems to other parts of me before I use it again. You'd think the Dr. knew that, but he just asked me if I had questions...and I hadn't thought of this at the time.


Today's quote:

"I didn't have any idea we were poor. Back then, nobody had any money. We were so poor, and everybody around us was so poor, that it was the '40s before any of us knew there had been a Depression." Chet Atkins, musician


NOTE: as of 10:30 am I spoke with two people at the manufacturer of the vest...their phone number is on the tag inside the vest. They of course said since I didn't have a prescription for that, they couldn't help me. But the second woman, also very nice, said she understood my hesitations about my other conditions. Then I asked her what settings she might use if she were wanting a bit of relief. That was clever of me, I must say. She said since she was 50 and didn't have any conditions, she would probably just use the frequency around 8-9 htz. And then my other brainstorm of the day was to just put it behind me in a chair and lean back on it. Believe me that still vibrated me plenty! I still want feedback as to how the vibrations will affect the rest of my innards! But things are progressing!


And the cardiologist that is on call while mine is on vacation said there's no reason I can't do the "Smart Vest"!

21 comments:

  1. ...bronchiectasis was a years problem for me in fall. Thankfully it hasn't been a problem since I retired. Good luck to you, stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for good luck wishes. It's not a fun thing to live with. Glad yours cleared up.

      Delete
  2. Hello,
    I hope you find a treatment that works for you. Take care, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Eileen...I hope you have a lovely weekend also!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It is pretty scary actually when it gets going! Probably the whole building will fall down upon our heads from its shaking!

      Delete
  4. Yikes! That sounds a bit scary. Good to check out the heart concern. I hope the vest can help you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I left word on a nurses line yesterday. For now I'm not using it. Tonight if I haven't heard back I'm packing it up. I asked if there was any less aggressive way for it to be used.

      Delete
    2. Are you able to use it only on your back? Do not put the vest on but lie down with your back on it , maybe a pillow for your head and a support under your knees?
      barb

      Delete
  5. Now I want to do all kinds of online sleuthing to find out how that vest is supposed to fit and work. There must be more info out there. I wish your doc had answers. Take care there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not having it through any home health agency means not having proper instructions, of course. Maybe I can contact the manufacturer...which I'll go do now.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. See my added note at 10:30 am...above in the text of post.

      Delete
    4. And my note at 3:00 pm...cardiologist says ok!

      Delete
  6. Good approach. It is always wise to start slow and get help from the experts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It ends up with me just having to figure out a good time to do it. I sure can't have a full stomach!

      Delete
  7. https://smartvest.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/SmartVest-SV2100-Instruction-Manual.pdf
    Would this help?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I should think that lying on it to give a low level massage would help all your innerds! Boosting blood flow and possibly lymph flow as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just leaning back for now..May try lying on it soon though.

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.