Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Sunday, August 13, 2023

A day trip from 2015

 Anyone who is visiting, or lives in this area full time, knows that these Western North Carolina mountains are teeming with woods.  Ah, greenness abounds!



Summertime is upon us, with nice cool nights, some afternoon showers, and humidity that varies from 60 to 90 percent.  Fog is often what I first see in the mornings before that good old sunshine showers my eastern windows.

A mountain road with the sights delineated for travelers

So though there are woods in any direction you might jump, I'll share more of the latest of my day trips with you now.
Joyce Kilmer - Slickrock Wilderness, Nantahala National Forest
I won't quote his most famous poem, which begins with "I think I shall never see a tree..."

Up close and more personal.  The little things you see along a walk.  And I have a trusty camera that didn't run out of battery power for the whole first half of the walk.  And the second half I was so tired already I didn't feel like taking a single picture anyway, almost.


One of the streams which you fortunately get a bridge across




Interesting how the whole first half of the lower loop has been rubbed out...it's not that hard to find!

The trail is well marked, maintained, and has steps added to keep erosion under control

All the felled trees had already died, Hemlocks with an insect that has killed most of them in the forests in this area, and perhaps some chestnuts which died back in the 1920s from Chestnut blight..


With the death of the hemlocks, there is more sunlight filtering to the floor of the woods, so new growth is happening.  The leaves closest to me were Poplars, the children of the biggest trees in this woods already.  Tim remembers walking these trails about 20 years ago, and they were very dark indeed with all the hemlocks.

One of the few examples of wildlife we saw...a few dogs were walking the path as well (on leashes) ahead of us

Today's Poem:

The Fog
by Carl Sandburg

 THE fog comes
on little cat feet.

It sits looking
over harbor and city
on silent haunches
and then moves on.





12 comments:

  1. ...you live in a paradise found!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful place for a walk, wonderful series of photos. Take care, have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen. Hope you have a lovely Sunday and week ahead.

      Delete
  3. A lovely walk in such a beautiful forest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had the breath for walks such as these again. Sigh. But I'm doing pretty darn well considering! And love seeing my friend's blogs each day!

      Delete
  4. A refreshing walk on the trail, sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How beautiful! I rarely walk in the woods these days, at least in summer, because of ticks and other insects that seem so attracted to me. I miss it, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had one mosquito land on my arm, and blessed her to another life. Didn't think of ticks. I didn't use any repellant either, because they all repell me. Dr. Bronner's Peppermint soap usually keeps some bugs away. I just decided I needed to walk a bit, and this was the best place I could go. Didn't stay very long, but it was peaceful.

      Delete
    2. This blog isn't the one I'm talking about from today...where I'll share soon about being by the creek. Sorry, got mixed up.

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.