Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Thursday, August 17, 2023

Post from the past: New Neighbor - Potter

A talented old neighbor moved on, and a new talented neighbor moved in...well, is in the process!

Welcome to the neighborhood, Sarah Vekasi!

[This is the story of a day when I was living on Beech St. (Black Mountain) in 2012. I posted it to my blog Alchemy of Clay. I'm trying to move the blog posts that had more to do with my life into other places...so here's this snippet of our lives.]

I happened to be taking my pictures of pots yesterday with the porch/studio door open, because it was warmer outside, and the natural sunlight helped the colors.  So not much traffic comes by here, being a dead-end street.  There went Sarah in her car...to her new home.  I walked up to welcome her, with my camera still strapped around me.  So I was able to catch her first time looking in HER mailbox.




She walked down the hill to get my welcome hug.  I'll go visit her new house soon, but she was doing her first house walk-through (and smudge) by herself.



Anyone who doesn't do a smudge cleansing of their environment with white sage, well, where have you been?  House blessings are just done that way by most of my buddies.  I even do it in my home whenever I've been sick.  Get's the environment balanced again.

Sarah has over a couple hundred friends on FaceBook.  I don't know how many will be beating a path to her door...but I know they'll all be welcome.  You see, besides being a potter, she's an eco-chaplin.  She's also an activist for stopping Mountain Top Removal by mining in West Virginia.  This is a busy young woman!

2023 UPDATE: Sarah now owns her own pottery shop in Black Mountain! 




Today's quote:

Author Tom Robbins moved to Seattle in 1962, explaining, “I only knew two things about Seattle: one, it was a long way from racist, sexist, homophobic, hide-bound, purse-lipped, gun-toting, church-crazed, flag-saluting, bourbon-swilling, buzz-cut, save your Confederate money, boys! Richmond, Virginia; and two, there was reputed to be something not quite right about its weather.”

7 comments:

  1. ...our daughter has over 3,000 "friends" on FB, how can the be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading this post, Barbara! It reminded me of two things: We smudge with sage when we want to clear out old energy in a room that needs clearing. We still have some smudge sticks in the house. And once, many years ago my twin brother and I gave the author Tom Robbins a ride from a small-venue concert to his friend's home in Santa Cruz. I did a post about a few years ago. I love remembering that journey! (Here's a link to that post: https://newdharmabums.blogspot.com/2020/07/friday-music-story-and-song.html)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful experience, the ride with Tom Robbins, must have been! I was able to read your post, and even my comment. Still feel the same, and "Skinny Legs and All" is my must re-read of his books...about coming together of Jewish and Muslim cultures, with his usual strange ideas thrown in too, as well as art!! I do still smudge a few times, especially after having been sick. Today may be a good day!

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.