Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Running errands

It feels so nice to be able to go out and enjoy my little town. The library was my first stop last Thursday.

Yes, you'll have to be patient with my phone photos from the car. The Library is located on Dougherty St.

There are lots of nice things happening at the library, but I forgot to bring the phone inside to snap photos.

There are 2 electric vehicle charging stations.

Yes the sign does say Black Mountain Tyson Library. The Tyson Furniture store is one of the biggest retail outfits in town, and Mr. Tyson was on the library board when I first showed a bit of interest in it...and then declined to serve. There are more spots available with the Friends of The Library, all volunteers who have periodic sales of donated books.

The corner of Dougherty Street intersects State Street here...the Harwood Funeral Home has beautiful Crepe Myrtles in front of it.

I then headed to my next destination, stopping at the red light on State Street (US HWY 70) as it crosses NC Hwy 9 or Montreat Rd. While there I thought you might like to see three shops which seem to be doing ok. I love the Kitchen Emporium...can find just about everything there. Hey Hey Cupcakes has the striped awning, and I seldom indulge, but they are very good when I do!! Next is a tiny little beauty shop, which I've not visited.

And they are all snugged up against the old building which is now Keller Williams Realty.

Next stop was Little Sprout, or Lil' Sprout, a subsidery of Red Raddish, which has really become a fixture in Black Mountain. I remember when the husband and wife team would cook breakfasts at the Tailgate Market on Saturdays. They now own a big meat selling store, and the Grange venue for hamburgers to eat out on picnic tables. But I love Lil' Sprout's "That Salad" which has all the greens I like, and lots of other tidbits to make a salad taste wonderful and I stretch it over several servings. I also like picking up a couple of tiny chicken breasts in Blueberry barbecue sauce, and some sourcream mashed potatoes. For desert I passed the brownies in order to get a pecan square...better than pie! When I'm sick I need ready to fix foods, and find the frozen options in the grocery storw have really become unpalatible to me (I do still ocassionally get some Indian dishes.)

This is located in East Black Mountain, and right across the street is my favorite Mexican restaurant, Ole's Guacamole.



More on my week's summary...

Today's quote:

Neil Armstrong later wrote (about standing on the moon on July 21, 1969): "It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small."








13 comments:

  1. Wonderful views of your town. I noticed our local library has some charging stations too.
    Take care, have a great day and week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's great. All the people with these new EVs (how can they afford them I always think) need places to recharge so they can be on the go. And what do they do while waiting for a charge, anyway? At least hanging out in Black Mountain has lots to interest almost everybody.

      Delete
  2. ...thanks for the tour, you had beautiful skies to enjoy along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some Carolina skies are worth including in every shot!

      Delete
  3. Nice little tour. Your library is twice as good as ours as we only have one charging bay. Do you have that odious and ubiquitous box store near you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nop, no box stores around here...though a few small strip malls do exist.

      Delete
  4. I love seeing photos of your beautiful town there. Your skies always look so lovely too. I love that the library has two charging stations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sometimes has two cars in it, but is mostly empty. Yep, I'm sharing our Carolina skies today!

      Delete
  5. It's interesting to see your home area - so different from mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh so right you are! No old cobbled streets, most old factories are located in Asheville, turned into artist studios or restaurants. I should go photograph them sometime, it's called the River Arts District. Wait till the weather cools a bit first.

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.