Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Sunday, August 20, 2023

Update for this week

  Another wonderful day of coolish summer weather brought me out to my favorite Mexican restaurant, with a friend who also needed an "away from home break."

And here was Flat Creek flowing right by my table...with this little wall which might help if ever the creek floods again. Ole's Guacamole had flooded a few years ago, and it has been making sure it doesn't happen again...new parking lot height, new walls along the patios, lots of gravel and rocks by the stream.



Yes, another selfie. I still look swollen up a bit...probably from the antibiotics and such. Hope next week or so to be back to my regular face. I know nobody but me notices these things, but that's why I post so many selfies.


Little umbresllas gave a bit of shade, as well as a few trees. Further under the roof are many more tables for "outside" dining. With lower humidity 72 degrees was quite comfortable at noon!

This old tree has been cut back. There were little fish in the creek, and someone stood on the little bridge and crumbled some nacho chips to feed them. 

Back in my neighborhood, looks like another little house is going to be built soon on this steep slope lot.


The blocks of the foundation have been laid, and wood floors are starting!

I had a delicious salad for lunch. But by 4:00 I was hungry. I made myself wait till dinner to have a much more satisfying repast!


The corral of bear-proof garbage cans is to the left, but apparently Mr. Bear got hold of a couple of bags which had something interesting to him. This is right in front of where I park my car. I never leave food in it...in hopes that it won't become the focus of a bear's appetite.

I get a kick out of how the plants that have survived the hottest days of summer are now looking so abundant. If it doesn't rain over 24 hours, I do water them.



These signs don't mean a thing. The sidewalks are kept for pedestrians, who sure are abundant and not aware of bicycles. So Bicycles ride in the street. Some places there is a lane set aside for them, but most mountain roads are narrow, curvy and very hilly, so dangerous for bicycles, in my opinion. But lots of people do ride them.

Today's quote:

Expanding your perspective opens you to insights and inspirations.


18 comments:

  1. ...many of my plants look tired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appologized profusely to them when I said I'd wait till evening to water them. I should know once I start watching my streaming shows, I'm staying in for the night. So they got watered the next morning, by which time the basil was very curly with thirst, and mint had lost a few more dried leaves. But by noon the liquid had done it's work!

      Delete
  2. The restaurant is in a pretty location near the stream. I love Mexican food. Your salad looks delicious too. Your neighborhood looks nice and your plants are doing well. You looks fine to me on the selfie. Have a great day and happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen...I hope you enjoy Sunday and all the week ahead.

      Delete
  3. Technically, we are not supposed to bike on sidewalks here, but people do anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When bikes are on streets they are in such danger...so many tourists aren't at all aware of their rights to ride there. I shudder when I see them.

      Delete
  4. I am not sure exactly where you are, but it looks a lot like my area. I love it here! We explore our surroundings and try new eateries on a regular basis (when we aren't at a medical facility!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black Mountain NC is in the Appalachian Mountains. We do have lots of places to explore with the Blue Ridge Parkway just a few miles away. I wish I tried more new eateries, but must be satisfied with favorites that have reasonable prices for regular treats.

      Delete
  5. Perfect weather for eating out of doors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure has been. Fingers crossed we have an early fall. But I don't bother crossing my toes. What will be, will be...and I'll try to enjoy it whatever it is!

      Delete
  6. I've recently finished a course of antibiotics and they made me ravenously hungry! I'm afraid I'm looking a bit 'swollen' too, or at least my jeans are tight! Hoping ti will melt away now I'm getting back to a normal rhythm. We could do with some hot weather as then I don't feel like eating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I'm losing weight now, perhaps too fast. So am eating a bit of chocolate between meals. And though one meal is still a big salad (with salmon left-over-made-into-salad) I do have pretty hearty main meals. I need to capture my thinner self soon! Hope to stop and just be at this level now.

      Delete
  7. You do get to enjoy the nicest outings with friends at such lovely outdoor restaurants there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I have returned too many times to Ole's and promise not to post photos the next few times!!

      Delete
  8. It looks very pleasant. Our creeks are getting dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are spring fed, and I've always wondered how the aquifer pushes water up to the highest mountains and it just keeps gurgling out. For instance, on the side of Mt. Mitchell is Balsam Spring, which can't been seen in summer because of all the undergrowth, but it's way higher than my elevation here!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks, it's so nice to be out and feel comfortable, instead of rushing between one air conditioned place to another.

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.