Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Altapass Orchard visit

  

Altapass, North Carolina history

A repost from 2014 when using a camera before iPhone.
NOTE: 2023, I don't think the historic display is still up, at least I didn't
 notice it last year on my yearly visit. I think some of the information
 (especially about the Cherokees) isn't accurate. And there's now a
 separate building for dancing and music...lots more area to watch
 as well!
But the apple pie a la mode still is superb!

 I had to pause in enjoying my homemade apple pie a la mode to 
record this photo for you!  In no time there was just an empty bowl
...and smiling elder.

 While my much younger friend enjoyed hers, I spied the "history
 of Altapass" sign over on the post.  But I had to watch
 some of the more limber folks dancing to the music...Sunday 
afternoons at Altapass are live music and dancing! Free. And 
lots of those folks wore their clogging shoes (which are maybe 
like clogs, but I think more specifically designed for dancing.)


(NOTE: 2023...the following are mixed photos of the display maps,
 and aren't all that clearly defined. Sorry. I just wanted to keep 
them for my own historical interest.)

 It was a huge wall map, so I've tried to capture little bits in each photo.

 If you received any North or South Carolina history in school,
 you must have heard of some of the big Revolutionary War 
battles, of which Cowpens SC, and Kings Mountain NC are 
spoken of.  I learned of them through my various ancestors 
in my family tree (though I was raised both in Texas and 
Missouri, so didn't learn about this history in school at all!)





 I was particularly glad to see other elements of local history were 
also shown...here a little bit about the first Americans to live in this area...













 This is the weather we had for driving along the Blue Ridge Parkway...and I
A was so happy Teresa was driving this trip!

Sharing with Signs2 HERE.

5 comments:

  1. ...too often the native populations are never given enough credit for their contribution to history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed. The places around here that care about that now have recognition that this land once belonged to indigenous peoples, most recently the Cherokee. We acknowledge that each Sunday morning from the pulpit at our UU church, as well as have a sign out front about the same. And we and several other area churches will be sponsoring an all day seminar on "Beyong Reckognition" with Cherokee speakers at the end of September. I'll post more about that soon!

      Delete
    2. can't type worth a hoot...Beyond Recognition perhaps?

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.