Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Friday, August 25, 2023

Coming home repost

In 2012 I posted these photos as I returned from a Florida or Georgia visit.


So here's the important part of coming home.

It's hard to tell that this picture is in one part of the state or another, but for me it's the first glimpse of a mountain straight ahead.

Whow...look at those clouds over the pass.  Will I get smacked with another rain storm?  (I exited the highway at a Mt. Airy exit earlier, and got turned around getting onto I-40 west.  It just felt like I was going east for the first 5 miles)

Not a bad shower, but left windshield a bit wet as I went slowly around the switchbacks of Old Fort Gap.  Notice I'm driving over in the truck climbing lane...and there wasn't a single semi on it!

I hope Linda Starr sees the highway right here in Black Mountain that has the Blue Star title...in honor of American Ex-Prisoners of War.  I dare say half the people that live here have no idea that's the name bestowed upon our "State Street" or Hwy 70 as it comes into town. (I don't remember if this sign is still up on Hwy 70 in 2023.)

 
I turn past the primary school on Richardson and love the yellow flowers and yellow busses together, seen through the reflections in my car windshield.



And I'm so happy to see my little cottage is sitting here waiting for me, and my friend Tim has mowed while I was away.  What a sweet feeling!  Home sweet...you know.


2023 note: I lived in that one bedroom cottage on Beech St. until 2015 when I moved to Blue Ridge Apartments.

Today's quote:

It is never my custom to use words lightly. If twenty-seven years in prison have done anything to us, it was to use the silence of solitude to make us understand how precious words are and how real speech is in its impact on the way people live and die. -Nelson Mandela, activist, South African president, Nobel laureate (1918-2013)

13 comments:

  1. The sky and storm clouds look very dramatic. Do you miss your little cottage? Take care, have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually no, I had so many problems to deal with in that little cottage...they kind of outweighed the good things by the time I moved.

      Delete
  2. ...travelling is good, but returning home is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that feeling when we cross the state line! It's like, ahhhhh...home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that little one-bedroom cottage. We've been thinking about downsizing and looking for something just like that. Lovely photos of your journey.
    Thank you for the Nelson Mandela quote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find a cottage that isn't squeezed next to a neighbor by the bedroom (at the back) nor has problems which this one had. I had a very nice landlady, so that made up for some of them. Interestingly enough, she cut off the front entrance and enclosed it with the "day porch" which I'd used as a studio. She thus put in a closet and made it a 2 bedroom, and raised the rents.

      Delete
  5. Coming back to the mountains from the flatland is always a joyful moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed. I have the blood of the mountains and the streams running in my veins.

      Delete
  6. Great shots of the skies. I felt like I was riding in the rain storm.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.