Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Sunday, August 27, 2023

Update for this week- Post Office, Old Depot and Railyard

 





I had a PO Box when I first lived here, because I had to share a mailbox with my upstairs neighbors, and didn't really want to do that. Several people keep them for business purposes, and perhaps they live way up a mountain which is hard for delivery.


Yes the "COVID 6 feet apart" is still in evidence here!

A really modern house was built across from the Post Office.

As I continued down the street, I stopped to catch a few shots of a new venue...The Railyard.

Here the remains of a warehouse have been transformed into some shop venues. (I think.)

Most of the terrain contains picnic tables, with a small bandstand at the far end. I've heard there are entertainers here.


The other side of the picnic area has all these shipping containers painted black. I believe somewhere there are supposed to be food trucks to provide fare while the audiences listen to entertainers. 
On Wednesday evenings there's a market set up, with local produce and other vendors, which I keep meaning to visit.

As this road deadended, I turned right, crossed over Hwy 9, and came by another favorite place in Black Mountain, The Old Depot, which has members who sell arts and crafts. I used to be an active craftsperson and member.




Today's Quote:

When you go deeply into the present, gratitude arises spontaneously, even if it’s just gratitude for breathing, gratitude for the aliveness that you feel in your body.

ECKHART TOLLE

14 comments:

  1. Hello,
    The post office looks just like ours here. I like the Railyard, looks like it will be a fun place. Happy Sunday, have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty sure the post office hales from the Eisenhower years.

      Delete
  2. ...I love old depots, we have several here. And we have ugly post offices like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Perhaps. But you should leave that comment for the post about the apple orchard!

      Delete
  4. I think it is time to pull up all those "Stand Here" stickers. I wonder if anyone stands there anymore? The Railyard looks like a fun place to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love seeing the views there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A depot is a great place for selling arts and crafts. The inside of the post office looks so familiar. I think there’s only two kinds of post office interiors, the modern ones and the old ones with brass boxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I haven't seen the brass boxes in quite a while!

      Delete
  7. The Railyard looks a good and interesting conversion. Much better than lying derelict.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I went by around 6 the other evening there were at least 20 cars parked next to those shipping containers...but no people were in evidence. There must have been something happening inside.

      Delete
  8. The depot looks inviting. The Railyard, not quite so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to ask some friends what they see and do there, at the Railyard.

      Delete
  9. Some similar qualities to post offices here.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.