Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Clouds but no rain that day, and Mrs. Carter's Memorial

 Yesterday a friend texted me to see if I was watching Rosalynn Carter's memorial service. I said no, but then thought I should.

It was touching, and the good old hymns from my Christian upbringing were nice to hear. But I did come away with a phrase she had said when working with President Carter in his term of office in DC. She said (as the reason she sat in on Cabinet Meetings) she wanted to be able to discuss everything, and wouldn't know how if she didn't try everything she knew how to help him succeed. Or maybe that was when she helped him run for Governor of Georgia. 

But to do everything one knows how in order to help someone else succeed...struck a chord for me. It came home to my sense that I can't really get going on things I wish I was doing. So I'm not doing everything I know how to do to even help myself.




Mrs. Trump (first row) Mrs. Obama, Mrs. Bush, Secretary Clinton, President Clinton, Dr. Biden, President Biden (unknown, unknown) President Carter.









Today's Poem:

Rewild Yourself
There are places in you
Where thousands of bright, tiny flowers
Open each morning to the sun
In meadows as vast as the sky.
An ancient alchemy courses through your bones.
It speaks in feathers and stones and
precious metals and the footprints of mandalas
left by the stories we tell with our lives.
Rewild yourself.
Until green tendrils sprout from your fingernails
And lichen swathes your eyebrows.
Rewild yourself.
Until your roots spread and uncoil and
Writhe down through soil and rock.
Rewild yourself.
Rise up into your magnificence and
Take your place among the constellations.
Rewild yourself.
The Earth is her own medicine.
Be yours.

by Caroline Mellor



17 comments:

  1. I missed the memorial, Rosalynn Carter will be missed. Pretty images of your lake. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen. I think Jimmy Carter has been the force that represented their steady humanitarian actions. At least he's been in news more. But yes, she will be missed.

      Delete
  2. ...the world needs more Rosalynn Carters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom November is right.
    Good poem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks (not sure about November comment)

      Delete
    2. Above mine...that the world needs more Rosalynn Carters

      Delete
    3. Ah..my mistake...just Tom 😎😄

      Delete
  4. Your pond/lake looks so peaceful; we need more of that.
    All the statues show that human's relations with cats has not changed......and they still regard themselves as gods.
    .......suzi/smartcat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, I have memories of how hard it was to give cats pills also. I enjoy seeing Lake Tomahawk in it's reflecting of seasons.

      Delete
  5. I love the Hercules statues. Too true!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I had watched the memorial. Thank you for watching it and sharing these photos. (NewRobin13)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad my friend texted me to ask if I was watching it. Since I was busy reading a book, I decided an event that wouldn't be repeated would be worth more of my attention than the book I'd just started!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Yes, they surely were. Their lifetimes as retired from public office continued to still be representing their best beliefs.

      Delete
  8. A day that will leave one melancholy.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.