Black Mountain

Lake Tomahawk, May 8, 2024

Saturday, November 25, 2023

Walking together as a group

 Sepia Saturday November 25 suggests this:


So I want to show groups going down a street...maybe marching even!

The Highland Games held each summer at Grandfather Mountain, NC.

Did anyone say they had to be human, 

or even walking?

A Wild Life for Wildlife, endangered species sculpture by Gillie and Marc, New York, NY,

Three more sculpted figures walking a bronze dog in Asheville, being passed by a real person who may or may not have had any interest in them!



Our family were great at posing for group photos. Here from left are Alex and Dona V Rogers, Ada Rogers (matriarch in front) George Jr. (my father on tip toes in back) Mataley (my mother) and George Sr. (my grandfather.) Here gathered around Christmastime (see the snowman on the stoop?) perhaps the 1938 gathering. This house looks like the cottages on W. Woodlawn, San Antonio TX today.

And let's not forget the Women's Marches of 2017, wearing "Pussy Hats" in reference to Pres. Donald Trumps' statement of "grabbing them by the pussy."



Then there are always parades...


Today's quote:
 "With great power there must also come — great responsibility!"  Stan Lee

His recent passing probably means more to my sons than myself, as they devoured his comics when they were younger.
Stan Lee in 2014 by Gage Skidmore

"Stan Lee (born Stanley Martin Lieber December 28, 1922 – November 12, 2018) was an American comic book writer, editor, publisher, and producer. 

"He rose through the ranks of a family-run business called Timely Comics which would later become Marvel Comics. He was the primary creative leader for two decades, leading its expansion from a small division of a publishing house to a multimedia corporation that dominated the comics and film industries.

"In collaboration with others at Marvel—particularly co-writers/artists Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko—he co-created iconic characters, including superheroes Spider-Man, the X-MenIron ManThor, the HulkAnt-Man, the Wasp, the Fantastic FourBlack PantherDaredevilDoctor Strange, the Scarlet Witch, and Black Widow. These and other characters' introductions in the 1960s pioneered a more naturalistic approach in superhero comics, and in the 1970s Lee challenged the restrictions of the Comics Code Authority, indirectly leading to changes in its policies. 

"Lee became a figurehead and public face for Marvel Comics. He made appearances at comic book conventions around America, lecturing at colleges and participating in panel discussions
Wikipedia


12 comments:

  1. I like seeing sculptures in urban environments. Better than the constant shop windows displaying everything imaginable to get you to buy buy buy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well chosen pix to match the prompt! I especially liked the one of the Highland Games march. I could hear those bagpipes in my mind's ear! I love that sound - maybe because my roots go way back there? Who knows? I just do. And every time I see a photo of your Lake Tomahawk I'm envious you have such a lovely place nearby to walk around! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something that raises the hair on my skin when a piping march comes by...again probably due to many old roots in my genes! Just think, all those Scottish genes standing to attention!

      Delete
  3. Nice variety here, Barb. I would love to see those marching Scotsmen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit I get a bit tired of their playing Amazing Grace for funerals. But otherwise, they have great tunes to pipe!

      Delete
  4. Great matches for the prompt. I must locate those cycling animals in NYC so I can go see them in person. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did search for the artists, and that's how they list themselves. I use Duck Duck Go, not Google. Hope you can find them and see them in person!

      Delete
  5. You made me laugh when I saw your first pic! I sure wouldn't stand in front of that band to take a photo if they were marching towards me. Those drum majors' batons have sharp points! And I like how the Asheville bronze included a dog to match our theme. Sometime soon I'll feature my collection of pipe band photos. Unfortunately I don't have any actually marching so I didn't use them for my parade theme this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like your interpretation of this week’s prompt photograph with a selection of crowds on street themes - especially the one of the Pipers at the Highland Games - good to see Scotland celebrated abroad! From Scotsue.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.