Black Mountain

Lake Tomahawk, May 8, 2024

Friday, February 23, 2024

Coughing source found!

 Hello Mr. Cardinal!


Someone else's photo. Isn't it strange that a creature that's been around so long got named after someone's position in a church which has only existed 2 thousand years. No wonder these beauties look at us askance so often!


Feeling kind of out of it for writing. Plus dentist appointment early this morning. I'll let you know tomorrow how I did!

And a bit ah ha...which is definitely the source of my recurring and awful cough problems. I have a Brita Filter Pitcher. I scrubbed it out the last time I changed the filter at the beginning of the month. Hot soapy water and then bleach water.

But tonight there were 2 big fronds of mold waving at me from the bottom in the water (which I had just had my 3rd glass of for the day!) Geese. I'll try to take a photo. It is definitely trash!

Now wouldn't it have been nice if that was penicillin there!



News of family came in a phone call last night. My granddaughter's next door apartment burned yesterday, but hers wasn't damaged, except the firement clawed open her ceiling to make sure there was no fire up there. The fire-wall between the framed wood apartment held it back. But now she's looking for a place to roost temporarily. So glad nobody was hurt, and her things just have insulation and wallboard all over them.


And then...updated 7:33 am. The dentist office just called and canceled my appointment. I was half dressed. Two more weeks. But I don't feel normal now...getting up so early and nothing to do!


Today's quote:

Gratitude is the way the heart remembers––remembers kindnesses, cherished interactions with others, compassionate actions of strangers, surprise gifts, and everyday blessings.

ROBERT EMMONS

17 comments:

  1. Don't trash the jug..a regular clean with hot water, bicarbonate of soda and white vinegar will see it off...baby bottle sterilising tablets do it well if you don't mind the chemicals..
    Remember you were talking about mould in your house a while ago, because of a bit of damp? There is your source of coughing..any floating mould spores in the air...it is something I have to watch out for myself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said it. I just decided I have to cleanse each drain daily, or it has the red mold, even after I've run vinegar down it...or at least stop it up and have a clean water puddle over it. I feel so sorry for my plants. I keep them pretty dry, and am not just watering weekly (used to be every 3 days). But I don't want them growing yet, till frost is over. Mmm, it's getting close!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes, and I do housework wearing a mask. It is a nice habit that I can take from the pandemic at least.

      Delete
  3. Pretty Cardinal! Mold can be scary, causing health problems. Take care, have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Now I know when I feel bad, don't stay at home. Clean it first, but go breathe clean air!

      Delete
  4. It's fascinating how names and labels can carry historical and cultural significance, even when applied to ancient creatures like reptiles. The juxtaposition of the creature's longevity with the relatively recent origin of the naming convention adds an interesting layer of complexity to our understanding. I hope your dentist appointment went smoothly and that you find relief from your cough troubles soon. It's wise to ensure cleanliness in household items like your Brita Filter Pitcher to maintain good health. Take care!

    READ MY NEW BLOG POST: Melody Jacob Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you taken up the mold issue with management? Glad to read your granddaughter was safe after fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm responsible for interior cleanliness. I'm not sure if the drains, the refrigerator are to blame. I feel still it's my poor housekeeping practices.

      Delete
  6. So now the morning is a gift! You don't have to go anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did go out for an 8 o'clock breakfast on my own! Then met a friend for early lunch...the home to nap in the afternoon (after doing some kitchen work of course)

      Delete
  7. You found a great photo, but now I am worried about our filter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been buying mine at CVS pharmacy. So I know their shipments of supplies come in big tubs in trucks, which have no temperature control. Filters come damp already so I wonder how sanitized they might be. I am tossing this one out and buying bottled spring water for now.

      Delete
  8. It's interesting how names and associations evolve over time! Hope your dentist appointment went well. Ah, that Brita Filter Pitcher revelation sounds like a potential breakthrough for your cough issues. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, and welcome to this crazy bunch of commenters/bloggers.

      Delete
  9. I haven’t had mold in water filter pitchers, but I have had biofilm growing in them. It is amazing what can grow in pure water. I recommend getting mold tests kits and testing the air in your home. It could be coming from between the walls or something.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear, Barb. What a nasty shock to see that in your water. We have a Berkey filter, recommended by our granddaughters, and we love it. Maybe a Berkey would be a good choice for you? They are pricey at first, but earn their keep. Check into it.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.