Black Mountain

Lake Tomahawk, May 8, 2024

Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Some views around town in February

 

This is one of the most "unfavorite" shops in Black Mountain. Why? Not just because their products are deadly for adults...and they push them on young people trying to grow into "savvy adults," but because this building is located right across the street from the Primary School. That's young children's educational site. They may learn to read, and just look what they can see out the bus windows or from the playground during recess!

Driving further toward town on State St (Hwy 70), I can see a local savings bank (Black Mountain Savings) across from me.

The old Depot and part of the red caboose. Photo by Fred McCormick 2020

Next to the red caboose...


Turning a few times on First Street, and there's this little building going up. Is it a tiny home? Or perhaps a bit bigger? I would wonder...there are roof trusses already laid down.  But it's really squeezed in between its neighbors.


Sharing with Tuesday's Treasures

Today's quote:

Everybody knows if you are too careful you are so occupied in being careful that you are sure to stumble over something. 
-Gertrude Stein, novelist, poet, and playwright (3 Feb 1874-1946)



8 comments:

  1. ...a number of years ago I visited Asheville, I wish that I had visited Black Mountain too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's ok. Next time we'll meet up for coffee and cakes. Asheville is pretty neat too!

      Delete
  2. I dislike those vape and tobacco stores too. I wish they were illegal but that will never happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the many programs showing the dangers of vaping might help. Unfortunately this used to be tobacco country, so many older (those who are still alive) folks have that habit. Pretty soon they will all be gone, anyone who raised tobacco.

      Delete
  3. I grew up on a tobacco farm. Handlin the green leaves always made me wonder why anyone would smoke it. At the end of the day my hands were black with tar. My parents smoked, as well as most of the adults in my life. I had asthma as a child and would often wake with the croup. That is scary! My grandmother would scoop me up and take me outside to stand in the frost on the grass with my bare feet. Worked everytime! Then she would soak a rag in turpentine and hang it on my bed post. Wonder what that did to my lungs? probably nothing good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Golly, that must have been scary as a child. Glad your grandmother's treatments worked. To have worked in tobacco harvesting must have also been a tough thing for you to do. Glad you survived!!

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.