Black Mountain

Lake Tomahawk, May 8, 2024

Saturday, February 24, 2024

A Saturday hodge podge!

 
Good morning (when I am writing this!)

I hear birds chirping, though we're back to winter temps...but at least no snow and it will stay above freezing all day!


Not my shot, and this bird obviously isn't outside my windows...but I had it in my files! 

Progress on the tiny tall house on First St.



Someone else posted this beautiful tree. Now that's a great example where a tree can just grow and grow all directions...but I wonder if there isn't a space underneath where kids could hide.

A sweet little critter I met this week. Sharing with Saturday Critters.

I may like dragons, but I think this is a bit over the top!

So we should call upon this dragon slayer, eh?



Last week I was at a birthday party for a dear friend, who just turned 39 (er 90!). Bette is also a Mudbuddy too! 

Photo by The Valley Echo

Today in Black Mountain there will be hundreds of runners that hope to run up to Mt. Mitchell, but due to snow probably at high elevations, it may just be a marathon, turning around and coming back to Black Mountain from the Blue Ridge Parkway. For me it means lots of new people in town that are in the parking places I usually would use!

I hope everyone has a happy Saturday!

Today's quote:

I have known a vast quantity of nonsense talked about bad men not looking you in the face. Don't trust that conventional idea. Dishonesty will stare honesty out of countenance, any day in the week, if there is anything to be got by it. -Charles Dickens, novelist (1812-1870)

14 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your friend Bette! That dragon cake is cool. I love the Roadrunner! I would like to see inside the tiny house when it is done. Pretty tree and a cute doggie. Great post and photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I frequently swing by the road the tiny house is on, so yes, it's easy for me to get more shots...unlikely indoors though!

      Delete
  2. ...the evergreen is a spruce of some sort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Himalayan Spruce, as another comment further down the line reminded me.

      Delete
  3. After a couple of spring-like days, we are back to temperatures well below freezing this morning. I like that tree, and I hope that you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, we're having a couple of cool days, and even saw snow flurries this afternoon, but it was too warm to stick...though tonight is well below freezing and lots of wind to make it feel even colder. But then in 2 days it is forecast to be almost summer weather1

      Delete
  4. That is some cake! Who would have the heart to cut into it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think making that extravagant a cake needed to have lots of photos taken, and then be the centerpiece for a very big event of some kind...where it would be appreciatively eaten!

      Delete
  5. Fun hodgepodge post, Barbara! Happy 90th to your friend. Love that pretty tree and interesting looking bird. We don't see too much of spring here until almost June! We did have some, nice almost 60 degree, weather this week, but more cold and snow is predicted this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our cold comes tonight, but will be gone by Monday. Never had more than a dusting of snow that stuck, though there were times (even today) where it spit down on us.

      Delete
  6. I admire that dragon cake, but it would be a shame to eat it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is a work of art. But a cake is not meant to be set inside a glass case, I don't think. I'd love to have gone to whatever party it was featured, and had a slice!

      Delete
  7. Linda Sue here- That tree is amazing- it looks like a fake tree trying it's best to to look real...The dragon looks REAL- pretty sure that is what they look like in real life...fancy making a frosting dragon . It must have taken more than a day to make, only to be squished on someone's plate with ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the mix of photos and stories! The little critter is adorable, the roadrunner and the dragon is...interesting.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.