Black Mountain

Lake Tomahawk, May 8, 2024

Thursday, February 22, 2024

Just some things to consider...

 



The Imagine Peace Tower, a memorial to John Lennon, designed by Japanese-American artist and musician Yoko Ono (born Feb 18, 1933)
The memorial, installed in 2007, took 3 years to develop alongside her engineers and was her largest work of art to date.
Please tap/click on image for full view.
It is located on Viðey Island in Kollafjörður Bay near Reykjavík, Iceland and consists of a tall tower of light projected from a white stone monument that has the words "Imagine Peace" carved into it in 24 languages - a reference to Lennon's campaign for peace, and his song "Imagine".
It consists of 15 search lights with prisms that act as mirrors, reflecting the light vertically into the sky. On a clear night, the tower appears to reach an altitude of at least 4000 meters and it is powered by eco-friendly geothermal energy. All in all, the tower uses about 75 kW of power.

From FaceBook.



I wonder if any local folks can name this Black Mountain restaurant.

Update on the volunteer position, the man who's designed their web site and had done all this blog/newsletter/mailing list work, is willing to walk me slowly through it, and just start with the blog. Whew. That sounds better. It's a Wordpress site, so I have to learn that program. He's at least got a templet already.


Today's quote:

Richard Ford, author of novels featuring the character of Frank Bascombe, says: “I like the part of being a writer in which you don’t feel the sides of anything. You don’t see the beginning, and you don’t see the end, you’re just in it.”

13 comments:

  1. The tower of light is a beautiful memorial. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if a wife of a man who also believed in peace were to make a memorial to him, and she was an artist, this would definitely be the best idea with light streaming out to the heavens!

      Delete
  2. ...the Imagine Peace Tower, is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am new to your site, Barbara.
    I wonder why Yoko chose Iceland as the location for John's beautiful memorial tower. Do you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I answered my own question ...
      Why Iceland? Yoko Ono chose Iceland as the location for this amazing tribute to John Lennon and beacon to world peace. According to her, “Iceland is a magical and beautiful country." The electrical energy source for the country and for the Imagine Peace Tower is geothermal – water, instead of oil.

      Delete
    2. So glad you looked into her choice of Iceland. I hadn't thought about it before. Good to know.

      Delete
  4. Imagine...still searching for peace. I do not think it is the "human" way for there has never been "peace"- a bit like
    "democracy" really. It is a talking point but not a reality. Human history .
    I love where you live- so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda Sue , here

      Delete
    2. Yes, a concept to work for. There are peace keepers (usually following conflict). Where are the peace makers? I guess I'd like to be one, and I see some of the leaders on political, corporate, and international levels as mediators trying to do so almost constantly.

      Delete
  5. I love the quote showing that we are earth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The roses are beautiful. I hope in my next life I come back as a rose bush.
    The memorial is striking. I wonder what he would have thought of it? And if he felt any connection to Iceland. Still seems an odd choice, even given her reasoning.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.