Black Mountain

Lake Tomahawk, May 8, 2024

Monday, February 26, 2024

I voted early!


 My vote in the primary elections only has the Democrat party (in my case) for choice of president, and various state and local offices chosen for who will go against the GOP (Republican party) coming up in Nov. elections. The Democrat party identifies a fight in our country between democracy vs. autocracy, which is also global. But it starts - its roots are here- in my backyard. It goes up the chain to the national level which impacts global - i.e. the Ukraine not receiving funds to combat Putin's autocratic invasion, due to blockage of funds from right-wing Christian Republicans in Congress "playing a deadly game" under tRump's malicious directions...the  autocratic thrust of politics today.

New gadget after showing a picture I.D. (thanks to the GOP Legislature!) I brought in my Sierra Club approved list of candidates, so I knew these people would be environmentally along my own values. I hope to heck they are also the ones who can beat their GOP opponents in November.

I chose the booth that allowed me to sit down. That was nice.

It may be easy, but my hand rested against the screen and this happened. Gag.

But there are many people watching me, (is this a good thing?) and a helper appeared immediately to go back to the screen I was on before! Whew. Since I already had my phone up to see my list of choices recommended by the Sierra Club, I could just take photos without anyone knowing.

I talked with a friend who said she never votes in primaries. I tried to stress that these are the school boards who end up making decisions about schools teaching correct history or letting kids say they're gay, judges who make decisions right in our community about people's behaviors, justice toward racism, and even a governor like our current one who finally got Medicaid increases from the Feds to be approved (it took several years while all the Medicaid patients waited.) The state legislature is only one seat in each house from no longer being GOP controlled...so having the right candidates to knock the GOP out is important.

Anyway, I'll keep pushing her to vote. I know when I was her age (just retired at 62) I didn't care that much about primaries. I didn't retire that early but I did spend a few months doing almost nothing.


Today's quote:

As we cultivate our life, our beauty becomes as much about what we are creating and doing as it is about our appearance.

10 comments:

  1. Yes, people have died to get us the right to vote..and others are trying to make it harder to use that right. Well done for voting early

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good reminder of how important expression of our own civic responsibility really is.

      Delete
  2. I vote in all the elections, I like to vote early too. Take care, have a great day and happy week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a great week Eileen. Voting is very important for each citizen.

      Delete
  3. ...voting is everyone's responsibility.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said, Tom. Having civic responsibility in these times seems to have slid off the backs of many. Our government isn't perfect, but it's got a chance to represent the will of the governed. Not all countries, states, counties, cities - even attempt to do so.

      Delete
  4. Politics are very different there. We don't have primaries, and no one has ever seen me mark my ballot. It's very private. I assume that it is also private for you in non-primaries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine they could not see what my choices were, due to the tilt of the machine. Maybe. There are little side panels so people couldn't see if we were still marking ballots with pencils, as our last elections were.

      Delete
  5. Well done! It usually feels pointless to vote blue in my very red state, but we vote anyway. Because we can. Something never to take for granted.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.