Black Mountain

Lake Tomahawk, May 8, 2024

Thursday, February 29, 2024

In Black Mountain

  

Changeable sky, as well as hide and seek of the ridge line. Last Saturday had early rain, clouds off and on with sun peeking sometimes, then by 5 pm snow/sleet was trying to come, but it wasn't really cold enough yet. It may have the higher elevations looking a bit white by tomorrow. Can you see the top of the ridge above the clouds?




Photo over the railroad tracks (going e to w) circa 1915 - looks across the Valley (southwest) towards the Swannanoa Mts (old name Cane Creek Mts.) It is a view looking southwest from the Gladstone Hotel-- which was located up from the Depot where Cove Automotive is now on Dougherty St. (Same ridge I look toward out my windows) 

I wonder if any of those homes remain. They would probably be on Vance St. or around that area.

An art post here...about Beatrice Wood, potter who lived and worked to age 105.

Today's quote:

The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members, a heart of grace, and a soul generated by love.

CORETTA SCOTT KING



10 comments:

  1. Pretty views and photos. I would think some of those houses may still be there. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to drive over there before this post came out. Soon...

      Delete
    2. Savor moments big and small,
      Let worries go then watch them fall.
      With open heart, dear grateful soul,
      In every breath let joy unfold.
      Cloudia Charters

      Delete
  2. I see the ridge line. Thanks for pointing it out, for I require guidance to notice the details. 😊
    I hope you are doing well enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the concern about my health, and I indeed am doing well enough! I missed the ridgeline and I had just taken the photo!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. They do let us see how today's buildings and land are related to yesterday's...that railroad hasn't changed, but I don't think there's a berm like shown in the card's photo.

      Delete
  4. Very enjoyable seeing the past on a postcard. Thank you for your comments. You may certainly share my little poem with my name. Thank you very much. Barbara, have a wonderful weekend. Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always interesting to look for what remains from past times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did I not know you had other blogs??!! Oh my.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.