Black Mountain

Lake Tomahawk, May 8, 2024

Monday, February 12, 2024

Monday mural

 I can't believe I have another mural to share already!



It's actually 3 floors of murals on the back side (facing south) of the Black Mountain Center for the Arts


I like the connection to the fiber and paint artists of Black Mountain College back in the 30s-40s. Both Albers and Asawa are well known when students study art history of this area. I think their art is the "Universal Citizen" which is depicted on the sign. I haven't seen it in the mural by Laura Nguyen.

Today's quote:
Edna St, Vincent Millay wrote: “My candle burns at both ends; / It will not last the night; / But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends — / It gives a lovely light!”

Sharing with Monday Murals


8 comments:

  1. ...migration has become a dirty word in this country of migrants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I just think of birds and butterflies who migrate. Now the word immigrant does elicit many political shenanigans of today.

      Delete
  2. Nice and colourful murals on the 3 floors of the Art Centre. Thanks for participating in Monday Murals Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! I really like the way murals are cropping up in all sorts of public places. Lives things up. I was very saddened by the unexpected death of Jesse Corlis, a stellar muralist here in West Virginia. Look him up if you get a chance. Such a sad loss, only 42.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a lovely mural Barb -- have never seen a vertical one, it's fascinating. I really like the way you included the history.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun mural, I like the colors. Take care, enjoy your day and happy week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like them all, but my favorite is the butterflies at the top.
    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful blues! Interesting how each mural is a different style.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.