Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Thursday, November 17, 2022

A Thanksgiving Cactus

 It's another grey cold rainy day, this Tuesday in November. I probably won't type long because my fingers are numb. (Not that it will make much difference)

I've been saying I wanted a Christmas Cactus...but when I saw this beauty at the grocery store, she came home with me. So a Thanksgiving Cactus will due!

And so far it looks like she likes living on the shelf next to the violet in my bedroom. We'll see if it's too much sun on the next sunny day. She's supposed to have indirect light, so they say.




What's fun is that it is more than one plant. Different stems are just buried in the dirt, and have a bloom on the end. I've heard they are really easy to germinate by sticking in water. I've got all these coleus rooting in the kitchen already...will probably stick them in the pots that are outside waiting for the geranium and the verbena to freeze. Nice recycling.

Sharing with Floral Friday.

Today's quote:

If you want to know who someone is, what is flowing through or not flowing, stay in a listening posture. 
Close your eyes inside your companion’s shadow. 
—Rumi



16 comments:

  1. Hello,
    They are beautiful plants, I love the blooms. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm talking gently to her each day, welcoming her blossoms. I admit to having one of these plants once and when I got home all the buds fell off.

      Delete
  2. ...I never did well with this plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people seem to do well with thm...not sure if I'm one of them yet...

      Delete
  3. Well, happy early TG, and I hope it keeps blooming for at least another week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, just a week before all the folks gather forr a feast. Not here however. Just another day.

      Delete
  4. I love all the gardening you do... indoors and outside. Your blooming cactus is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some things seem to do well with my love one day, ignore them the next.

      Delete
  5. Their surprise blooms are so fun. Mine are either blooming or about too. Sometimes twice a year. I find the clay pots their favorite home and I leave outside, seldom watering in the harsh Gulf coast sun and bring in when our first chill. They really don't need much attention and like to be mostly dry. If your violets bloom you shouldn't have any problem. They should make good companions.🌸🌵

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big thanks for your advice from one who know how to do it!

      Delete
  6. Pretty!

    I'm so hopeless with plants that even a cactus died on me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A few years ago I saw one of these plants at our local store, went home to drop a few things off and then went back to purchase the plant. It was gone and it was the only one. I was looking at the table it was sitting on and there was a tiny piece so I took it home and eventually it grew. Now we have two, they are not very big but they bloom every year since they have been in a pot. They are beautiful plants and I hope yours does well too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How pretty! Mine set buds, but almost all dropped off. :/ My plants are older, the biggest is 12 this year and not looking too well. The other is a 3 yr old baby from the big one. I have a couple other babies started, but I do wonder if our dry heat is just not good for them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. She looks good and healthy. So many buds!

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.