Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Saturday, November 26, 2022

Tis the season

 



"What?" you might be asking. "And why?"
The first question is easier than the second. Let's start with what's in "classic" Spam: pork, sugar, water, salt, potato starch, and sodium nitrate (a preservative).
The new seasonal Spam includes additional "fig and orange flavors, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger and all spice." And as ever, it is shelf stable in case of the apocalypse.

"If you do get your hands on Spam Figgy Pudding, it can be fried, baked or grilled, though it's already fully cooked and ready to eat straight from the can. Hormel recommends making skewers of red onion, figs, and cubes of Spam, broiled and coated with a balsamic glaze and a sprinkle of rosemary.

"Lest you say this is a perversion of figgy pudding, let's look a little more closely at that British holiday tradition. Figgy pudding is a dense, steamed cake (not an American-style pudding) full of raisins, currants, and brandy — and the modern version doesn't actually include figs!" 
Thanks NPR


I've never eaten either version, and I really don't feel inclined to do so.

For my Sepia Saturday friends, this is what Americans can do with English ideas! I wonder if each of these women learned how to make an English Figgy Pudding!


Today's Quote:

Sometimes decision making is best done after marinating with all the information, creating a decision that is made with full intention. 

Perhaps marinate a pudding or cake or something in a bit of an alcoholic beverage...mmm?

15 comments:

  1. I am happy to pass on all Spam … and also Figgy pudding for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all for Figgy Pudding but with not so much Spam, please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An intriguing post! When I saw “spam”, I thought of (besides its computer reference) of the cheap processed meat that was served during the war. Figgy Pudding is a different matter, as that appeals - dried fruit, spices and cinnamon delicious. Though here in the UK we only see it around Christmas. [from Scotsue]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, that is the same canned meat product, still being produced, and here adding the sweet and spicy stuff. No way I will eat it. I am glad you have eaten the real thing. I like fresh figs actually.

      Delete
  4. I have only had spam once to my memory. One time my mother made a cornbread dish that had slices of spam on top. I don't remember it being totally disgusting but I don't remember ever having it again either.
    The women in the photo probably had a cook who made the figgy pudding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, they don't exactly have aprons on, do they?

      Delete
  5. Well, that doesn't sound good. At all. But pumpkin spices, so it must be good??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder how many spices make awful things taste ok?

      Delete
  6. Very timely! My favorite Spam story is from a house renovation I did for friends many years ago. The kitchen cabinets were the last step and I refitted it to accommodate a giant six burner Viking gas stove.. My friend was a good ol' Georgia boy but his wife was a new-age vegetarian Texan who owned 100+ cookbooks. (I know this because I had to make custom shelving for them.) When the appliance store delivered the shiny stainless steel stove and hooked it up, my friend decided to test it before his vegan wife saw it. I watched as he pulled out a can of Spam and proceeded to fry it up. I was sworn to secrecy not to tell (but with fingers crossed). as it was probably the only meat it ever cooked. I suspect she later guessed what he did just from the aroma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't make up that kind of story! How delightful!

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.