Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Tanbark Ridge overlook, elevation 3175 feet, Blue Ridge Parkway, North Carolina. The road seen in upper left is the parkway as it continues northeast. Can you see the little houses, including my favorite, the red roofed one?

Monday, November 28, 2022

Sometimes the plant tells you

 

The Thanksgiving cactus was looking pretty drab in the bedroom window, with full sun and a strange heating unit that insists that 65 degree settings means it should heat my little room up to 75. I moved the cactus and found about a half dozen buds that had been shed there on the bedroom shelf. So now more "indirect sun" in the living room, and cooler temps. I hope it's not too cold for her.

So for the last week no new blooms. I also found my frequent watering had left the bottom of the pot quite waterlogged. Hope to let it dry out a bit. We shall see.

Today's quote:
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
 -Douglas Hofstadter, professor of cognitive science (b. 15 Feb 1945)

15 comments:

  1. ...you have more success with Thanksgiving cactus than I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love seeing all these other people's cactus blooming. I'm hanging my head.

      Delete
  2. It's tricky, regulating the heat and the water. Hope she recovers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm best with plants I can ignore, and then just appreciate!

      Delete
  3. You are doing better than me. Mine dropped all their buds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope the Thanksgiving cactus recovers and thrives. (NewRobin13)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...we shall see grasshopper, we shall see...

      Delete
  5. I'd love to have one but don't know where I'd put it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mine has been blooming for about a week. We just have ours sitting in the window facing the river. Sun in the morning if it comes out, if not it still does good. We keep our apartment on the cool side so the plant doesn't mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worry that the southern sun coming in is too hot these days...it feels much warmer most days. I keep the heat turned way down, so during the day the only heat is through the windows on sunny days. Show me a photo of your plant!

      Delete
  7. I expect that if anyone can nurse it to health it will be you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes am lucky, and sometimes just fail completely. That's life.

      Delete
  8. I'm so hopeless with plants that I once killed a cactus.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.