Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Wednesday, November 9, 2022

The day after

 Whether I stayed up late on Tuesday, yesterday, or not...there's always tomorrow. And here it is.

Winter sun comes streaming in my windows...heating the house, and the houseplants. I love seeing the ridgetop across the valley for the next 5 months. It may be grey on many a rainy day, but oh, the sun!



Both of the suviving orchids are pushing up their stalks which will soon bloom.

Whatever politics may hold for our lives, I do wish I could go back into my youth before I cared about any of it. A ten year old Barbara had outgrown dolls, and maybe I had begun to love horses. I certainly was reading every book I could get my hands on...watch out Nancy Drew!

I still read, about half of it is fiction, and the other half is about the reality of our lives. Climate change, governance with compassion, commentaries by people more knowledgeable than me, models that include giving back to both the land and each other...etc. 

Sometimes I read about how we move our bodies, and I am still learning how that works. I take part in almost daily Feldenkrais exercises.  Though I first heard of Feldenkrais back in the 80s, (when in college for the second or third time,)  I hadn't stayed interested enough to continue. (Actually there were a few dozen other interesting body work-techniques out there.) 

A recent seminar really piqued my interest again, and I even bought the first explanatory book by Moshe Feldenkrais, "Awareness through Movement." The seminar series is called "Move Better, Feel Better Summit." I chose some of the lectures, and was more interested in the actual exercises...especially those sitting in a chair. But after purchasing the summit, I have begun to do the floor exercises on my bed...which is more comfortable for me.


And a bonus seminar with my purchase of the prior one with four tracts of exercises, is this new seminar, "Discovering Your Learning Body's Superpower: The 7 Secret Keys."

This second seminar also includes exercises led by different Feldenkrais professionals. The second one was led by a woman from Greece.

Did I mention these are very slow, minmial movements, always with paying attention to how it feels to move just a bit. Then a rest period which is actually an important part of training your brain to know how your nerves and muscles can move just a bit. I come away from each lesson feeling much lighter, able to move not only the part of my body I focused on but able to just go about my day's tasks in a more relaxed and calm way.

OK, I'll get off my soap box. What with all the people on soap boxes today, it sure gets crowded!


18 comments:

  1. Hello,
    It is good to find these exercise, ones that are easy on your body. I have an orchid that I hope will bloom again, my fingers crossed. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very important to keep moving and small movements are just as important! Fine tuning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice idea, fine tuning. And I think that's what I'm doing. Also since I've done so much other body-work through the years, I am glad to find the small areas that still need attention. I would imagine athletes like you and your partnet have many exercises to keep in shape and able to do all the walking and biking you do.

      Delete
  3. ...I need to discover my body's superpowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great. I will certainly let you know if I find out what mine are after taking these seminars...a few Fri. mornings coming up.

      Delete
  4. Good morning! Tiny blue dot in a sea of red here, but the sun is shining and I am healthy and my family is well, so Onward we go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you and your positive attitude! And a sunny day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are getting a good bit of solar energy through that window. Speaking of that, I think this article about France's energy plans might interest you. https://electrek.co/2022/11/08/france-require-parking-lots-be-covered-in-solar-panels/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'll check it out. Asheville is considering (hasn't had final vote) banning plastic grocery bags.

      Delete
  7. I've never heard of Feldenkrais before. I think it's great that you exercise everyday. I should try that. Love seeing the view out your window and your orchid plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy when weather is bleak, but actually I've been a homebody for several days, which may have been the last warm sunny ones. I'm not always logical!

      Delete
  8. That sunlight streaming in must feel good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Up to a point. I've had to turn on the AC in afternoons a few times and close the curtains and blinds to the lovely view!

      Delete
  9. Nice window view and with the sun coming in, I would be sitting in its path and enjoying the warmth.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I hopped to you from your comment on Jenn's blog. Nancy Drew, Swallows and Amazons, and books about a ballet dancer, then a nursing series, I lived my future life through all those.But didn't get to be any of them. Books are still a huge part of my life, as they were my Mum and Dad's. Those exercises, I will research the books, it is always good to have some reminders about that aspect of our bodies, far too easy to sag when I walk these days, and the little height I did have when younger is slowly shrinking.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.