Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Wednesday, December 28, 2022

A couple of newbies.

 Hello, it's me, who usually gabs a bunch in comments on everyone's posts. Not yesterday. I was feeling glum, and  stayed in my Jammies all day. Not sick, but not particularly sociable.

I moved this freshly born little blossom away from the windos, where it's in the 20s each night. She'll be happier on the table behind the sill itself. I've never seen so many branches of flowers. They will have trouble opening, and I guess I should have pruned some away. I did give her leaves a bath with dish detergent...those drops weren't water, and there were a couple of spots under another leaf that looked like white fly fungus starting. Oh geese, that will be the first time it's hit an orchid. Maybe the detergent will help disinterest it. I hope it doesn't bother her. She's got lots of leaves!!


I have since cut her to the two main branches with flowers. And here are three blossoms!




And a friend gave me this bright little one. Wow, she really stands out among the greenery!

And raising a cuppa to toast the blaming of aging for everything that goes wrong today. I may have other things to blame tomorrow!

Today's quote:

“The older you get the better you get, unless you are a banana.“ – Betty White

20 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I love your orchid bloom, very pretty. Take care, enjoy the last days of 2022!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm giving them loving care (including liquid fertilizer)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. And never having any formal instruction as to what makes happy plants, it's still all by guesswork. The good thing is that plants tend to carry on no matter what I do.

      Delete
  3. One doesn’t always want to blog or even know what to blog about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True...there are days when just musings are all that happens.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. There is health in having green living plants around...to create oxygen for one thing.

      Delete
  5. I always love seeing your orchids blooming there. They are so happy and well cared for. I hope you are feeling better now, Barbara. (NewRobin13)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...each day I feel pretty good in the morning. Enough said.

      Delete
  6. Such a beautiful orchid! Re Betty White's quote--some days I feel like a banana.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do enjoy seeing your orchid blooms. Have not been commenting much myself as I've taken a break fro blogging this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's understandable. I was surprised to have real people around for a few hours...and then I reverted back to my virutual friends!

      Delete
  8. Pretty blooms. Nice to see them at this time of year. Betty White's quote is a good one, I always liked her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One orchid plant looks to produce pretty well. Another is giving little half size blooms. Oh well, I know the feeling!

      Delete
  9. Moth orchids do just go on and on!
    You don't have to feel sociable all the time, online or in person. Batteries need recharging. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True...I'm enjoying NZ photos you put on FB, but not blog. At least one way is working.

      Delete
  10. A lovely mug, Barb. I understand that down feeling. Sometimes there is just no explaining it, but I think perhaps it is just all the sadness we have known come creeping to the surface for no understandable reason. And sometimes, after a good visit with friends or family, I am alone again with my hubby and it just feels so...quiet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sue, you're so right about the big quiet after having visitors. Not sure if sadness is part of my "lull" but I am not making many efforts to laugh either! Feeling rather tired and numb.

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.