Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Thursday, December 15, 2022

Shopping in Black Mountain then and now

 

That's a new store to me "Mountain Men."

I was driving through town one night and got stopped at a light, so I took this photo.

Here's a view from waaay back of the same area. State Street.

1954. The buildings and stores probably weren't airconditioned. So, awnings helped keep the temperature down a degree or two. I'm sure there were lots of fans. The light pole is still in the same place, so you can figure out the stores above are past Knight Drugs.

And here's a wonderful article to get you caught up with the Pure and Proper Restaurant in the Valley Echo, thanks to Fred McCormick. I need to meet this guy, his little (weekly? semi weekly?) paper is fabulous!

My post last week about it's new opening and menu...HERE.

Today's quote:

Conscience is a man's compass, and though the needle sometimes deviates, though one often perceives irregularities when directing one's course by it, one must still try to follow its direction.

 -Vincent van Gogh, painter (1853-1890)










9 comments:

  1. I hope all the stores are doing well, the new restaurant sounds great. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting to compare how a streetscape looked then to now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, all those awnings really hid the stores then.

      Delete
  3. I love seeing the old and then the new view of the street. Lovely. (NewRobin13)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robin...the anony-mouse! I just happened upon these two views of the same area.

      Delete
  4. Interesting awnings. The ones in NZ seem to be nearly all permanent structures

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.