Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Monday, December 12, 2022

Life affirming few hours

 Ah the medical world intruded into my life. Or perhaps I was on the verge of it saving my life. It turned out I didn't have another heart attack, probably something related to eating curry for dinner.

But I won't bore you with all the details. There were many hours lying/sitting around in ER waiting for tests. They results were delivered quickly, but they might have been affected by my having taken a nitroglycerin pill when I first had chest pains, so they waited another 3 hours to retest my blood. Since that is how they determined I'd had a heart attack 2-1/2 years ago, I was willing to wait. Unfortunately I was coughing a lot which had started earlier in the afternoon. I was surprised nobody tested me for COVID (like the last time which was just at the beginning of the pandemic). I didn't have a fever and wore a mask the whole time. I realized there were many germs there just waiting to jump into my lungs! 

I texted my son who is my health care power of attorney, just to let him know what was happening. I also texted my friends in Black Mountain. One of them goes to bed early, while the other stays up late and wanted to know everything. (I condensed things for texts)

I could title this, the Male Nurse from Iran. He was very nice...when I asked him where he was from, he laughed, and asked me if I'd traveled the world. I admited that I had a bit. So he asked me to guess. By just listening to his accent I knew at least somewhere in the Middle East. He was pleased with that, then said he'd been born in Lebanon, lived in Dubai, then Saudi Arabia...and I think then Iran before here. I wonder why he said he was from Iran, since there were all those other countries in his life (but I didn't ask.) Did he like it here? He said the cost of living in Asheville was really bad, though he liked the place and the people.

Then of course I asked if he was following the World Cup of Soccer. He smiled. Of course. The rest of the world calls it football. We shared about our favorite teams a bit. 

Here's the picture on the wall in the room. I was so grateful to not be in the hall, but probably because I needed the constant EKG machine which was only available there.

And all this time he was sticking little patches on my chest that connected to wires. Hey at 80 I don't mind a very young man seeing my chest...though I think he prefered when I covered my breasts with my hands.

Anyway, drawing blood, hooking me up to a blood pressure cuff, and a thumb device to see my pulse oxygen levels...he was efficient and kind. 

But later I was miffed, he forgot to give me the call button thing. I was calling out the open door, hey, can someone help me. Nobody came. I was tethered to all these things, but really needed to use the bathroom (and was perfectly capable of walking to wherever it might be.)

So I got out of bed, pulled the wires as much as I could, and stretched far enough behind the bed where the call bell contraption was hanging, and pushed the "nurse" button. Someone answered immediately, and I told them my need. And my nurse, Iman, was there in a flash.

I must also note, that I arrived by ambulance (the best way to get into ER) at 8 pm on Sat. night. I groaned at what kind of crowd might be there. Actually at 8 there were a couple of people lying on gurneys in the hallway, but it wasn't till much later that I would be disturbed by neighbors yelling/groaning, and being drunk so when they used the same bathroom, I was very careful to keep clean. 

As I walked to the bathroom a second time, about 4 hours later, I noticed lots of paper and bandaid type debris along the floor, and realized the nursing staff focuses on patient care, and then housekeeping has the chore of cleaning everything up. As I returned to my room, passing at least 6 people in beds along the hallway, I also saw one nurse trying to work with a patient who looked like she (?) would just slide out of the bed by the foot of the bed, not where the rails were, onto the floor. I sure didn't offer to help. And neither did anyone else, of 3 professionals sitting at the desk nearby with computers and phones. I guess the nurse was successful. It made me question using a bed for my practically invisible needs.

I ended up having 2 doctors as I was there past the 11:00 shift. But Iman said he was doing a 12 hour shift that started at 7, so he helped me the whole time. The doctors said with my history it was the best idea that I came in to be tested, rather than just staying at home. That was affirming to me, to have gone through all this trouble for nothing. I know my insurance will cover a lot of the expenses, and sometime in a few months I'll get some bills. The nothing of being normal was really wonderful. I sure liked the comfort of my own bed when I finally got home.


My IV needle in my arm, where blood was drawn and tested for something that changes if you've had a heart attack. It's some kind of enzyme. I should learn what it is.


Last blood test had been at 11:40. I was discharged and then got a voucher to use for a taxi service. I had to wait about an hour, though they said it would be 5-10 minutes. So at 2:00 am I finally got home. Part of my future planning while sitting on the very uncomfortable bed, was to have a big chocolate cookie and a glass of rice milk before going to bed. Ahhh.









23 comments:

  1. Glad you were well checked over..and met a kind nurse too. Health services are working flat out everywhere

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad and relieved. I can't imagine my anxiety level, nor what a real heart episode later that night would have been like.

      Delete
  2. Oh my, sounds like an adventure. It is good to get everything checkout with your history. I hope all is ok now. Take care, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good way to look at it...the adventure of 7 hours in Barbara's life.

      Delete
  3. What an ordeal but at least you had some answers and are back home. Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I needed to get the apartment ready for an inspection, scheduled for today. I've kind of let go of super cleaning. Just doing what needed to be done.

      Delete
    2. Our apartments are under some kind of federal program, not HUD, and the owners live in Raleigh and have to inspect every apartment yearly. The managers do it more often though, maybe quarterly. I'm glad in a way.

      Delete
    3. And at 10 am I got a letter from management in my door that the inspections are canceled and will be rescheduled at a date to be given. Whew! Now I can get back to my own life and no anxiety.

      Delete
  4. Wow, Barbara, that sounds like quite an ER adventure. I'm so glad and relieved that all is well. It was a good idea to go thee and have it all checked out. Please take care there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice to have the same nurse throughout my stay. Sometimes they also switch around so they don't know why I cough a lot or something. One ER visit I came home with discharge instructions for an upset stomach just because I'd been nauseous looking out the back door of the ambulance. The ER doc never knew I had COPD or bronchitis at all.

      Delete
  5. I’m glad for you that you weren’t stuck in the hall and also that it wasn’t a worst case health event. ERs are a problem here as well. These are hard times in terms of health care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess if I'd been worse off, I wouldn't have been taking photos and talking about the nurse's nationality! I do feel for the many very sick people needing care.

      Delete
  6. What an experience, glad everything worked out well for you and now you can have peace of mind. Here the hospital has the overflow of patients in the hallways and they are always crowded.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let this be a lesson: don't eat curry.

    The last time I was in hospital was when I broke my nose a bit over a year ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, I just ate the left overs from the curry, at 2 pm, and now it's 4:30 and no gastric distress. I do live dangerously! Oh poor nose to get broken...not a good feeling at all.

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you made it out safe and sound and no heart attack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That indeed is the main thing. So grateful to keep on ticking for another while or so. Like a Timex watch, I yam!

      Delete
  9. Oh goodness! The older we get the harder it is to tell whats what in these ole bodies! Very wise to get checked out, but what an ordeal. I imagine you have been tired out today. Rest well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness! What a scare. I'm so glad it turned out okay and that you had a nice nurse. Keep on being careful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The blood tests included a check of troponin levels. It was to see if there was heart muscle damage that would indicate a heart attack.

    ReplyDelete
  12. CPK would show if you had a MI

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.