Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Friday, December 16, 2022

The sad plants that stay alive

This ever living Oxalis has new leaves on the sunny side, and dying on the shady side, so I turn it a quarter turn whenever I water it.

As you may notice the remaining leaves have a white fly fungus at their junction. So I pulled this out and threw the whole plant away. I put the planter out to freeze for the winter...wonder if that will kill the fungus.

The cactus that didn't stay blooming for Thanksgiving. Oh well, it has to get used to my environment. At least it's still alive!

Another succulent which I've had for about 4 years. I definitely mistreat them.

.
All the cuttings from the coleus were put in the pot when I took out the dead geraniums. So far one had the white fungus. Fingers crossed it won't hit all of them

Moved this philodendron further from the window, because honestly it doesn't need to grow any more. But it's started giving me variegated leaves, whoopee.

I should take this over, so the little bud is in focus. I will if I have time...

I forgot to change it when I took another shot...so I'll add it this morning



Very soon this orchid will open to blooms.

The Jade plant seems to like it here.

I now have all the symptoms of the flu...probably caught it when at the hospital Saturday night. I am able to get the fever down, and hope the course will be over in 5 days, as my Physicians Assistant gave me as a target date...from first symptoms yesterday. I'll have to miss church though. And I've taken two COVID tests which were negative. 

This orchid has brown stems and buds...not a good sign I'm thinking.

I'm not wrapping Christmas presents...unless I mask up and wear rubber gloves. No way I want to tape a virus onto a present! 

And though I didn't water these plants today...just look at these little dew drops coming right out of the leaf!

Sharing with Garden Bloggers Bloom Day (yesterday.)

Today's quote:
It is not diversity that divides us; it is not our ethnicity or religion or culture that divides us.  ~ Nelson Mandela


13 comments:

  1. Hello,
    Pretty plants, I hope my orchid blooms again.. Take care, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I assume you had a flu shot and still got it. I'm sorry. Stay in touch with your PA. You don't want to end up in the hospital for Christmas. You have a wide assortment of house plants. I envy your orchids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'll be boring you with the blossoms when and if they come!! Yes, I got the flu-shot.

      Delete
  3. You are quite the good caregiver to plants. They all look beautiful to me. I hope you start to feel better soon. Take care there, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had fungus on one of our plants years ago. It was hard to keep it off so we threw it away. My jade plant is always growing, I love the plant. A friend gave it to us 7 years ago when it was tiny, now it is in a big pot doing fine. Hope whatever you have leaves you and moves on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have to throw away the last of my Kalanchoes, like I did with the 3 other plants this summer. My front porch was too shady. But it's still here I guess. I'd had them for about 15 years...taking cuttings of the big ones, and then they'd grow big. I hope the jade plant stays happy, it was also a gift. These do so much better than things from most stores.

      Delete
  5. I’ve had varied results with plants. Take care of yourself and get well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep plants long after I should just toss them. There's always the hope of a miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's nice to have indoor plants when the colder weather arrives. My Thanksgiving Cacti are in full bloom and I am enjoying them. Enjoy your orchids hen they bloom and feel better! Hope they make you smile!

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.