Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Monday, December 19, 2022

Reminders

  

I kept this for a reason...but not the one you think.

Same thing happened when I saw this little ornament.


And this one too.

They all remind me of my friends and relatives!

First speaks to all my women friends rising up beyond the misogynistic patriarchal cultues. That woman doesn't look at all like she's raging. But she sure is rising. And the final point, resist.

I want to let you know, if I haven't already, that one point of resistance this old lady is taking is not to stand to the side to let a man go by when coming towards each other, or in any equal space. It works with grocery carts...boy are they surprised. But at a restaurant the other day, I just held my "to go container" up in front of me, and kept on going, while at least 3 men stopped and let me go by. Then I had to wait for the other women in my group to catch up, since they'd not "resisted." It will come with time. And there used to be a "ladies first" gentlemens' code of ethics. Bah Humbug to that! (Of course no man has opened a car door for me for at least 50 years)

OK second shot of a little pup is kind of like my friend's new dog, who I just met a few weeks ago. Eli is his name, and he's so energetic, it makes me feel really slow! But he will probably have that energy the rest of his life, he's some kind of sheep dog, and I never can remember, maybe Austrian.

And the last is a Blue Tick Hound, who reminds me of Zora, one of my grand-dogs!

Here she's taking a nap with my son also.

Today's quote:
It takes a lot of time to be a genius, you have to sit around so much doing nothing, really doing nothing. 
-Gertrude Stein, novelist, poet, and playwright (1874-1946)


13 comments:

  1. Cute doggies, the ornaments are adorable. Take care, have a great day and happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. Never noticed the stand-aside thing. I assume that I am the one usually doing it if it needs to be done. I have never thought of the grocery store as a battleground, though. However, I will be getting pickup this week because I am familiar enough with the pre-Christmas crowds. And New Years too. I haven’t done pickup for a long time now, and I don’t love it, but it seems preferable at tis time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, women know how to manage carts in grocery aisles, and for some strange reason men seem to just walk down the middle of the aisle and everyone should get aside. Not every man of course. But enough that we women have noticed. I do hope Sue is feeling better. Hugs to her (through you).

      Delete
  3. ...rage, rise and resist. Amen sister.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will have to think about my movements and whether I give in when I should have the right of way. Are you feeling better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still low-grade fever, have a call into nurse to see if they want me on antibiotics. Driving carts in grocery stores is where I noticed it first! Then a group of men coming toward me talking. Boom. What, a woman was in front of them?

      Delete
  5. Yes to Rage Rise and Resist. Cute doggie pics too. (NewRobin13)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...and stay up to date on what's happening so we know when to resist...still! Enjoy the holidays!

      Delete
  6. Cute pups! The Gertrude Stein quote is intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, rage, rise, resist! We must stay focused on that.
    We have a new dog, very young and so full of himself! I hope he will settle down eventually. He is so funny and lovable.
    As to stand aside: I have never noticed it here, I must admit. Men frequently open doors for me, too, as I do for others. Maybe it is still part of the culture here? I did see a guy opening. A car door for his lady the other day. Now that is definitely rare.
    I hope you are soon well. No fun being sick at the holidays. Or any other time, actually.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.