Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Wednesday, December 14, 2022

A World of Curiosities

 



Aside from joining Amazon Prime just so I can see the TV series of Three Pines, (and all the free shipping didn't hurt too much either) I purchased Louise Penny's latest work.

Whoopee! 

I started slowly, wanting to savor it.

I even got to a point where I thought, if this is the way it's going, I'm not sure I want to read any further.

Then a major change of direction (and there were all these flashback type explanations well done this time.) I didn't get confused about which time I was reading about, like has happened in a few of her earlier books. I had not paid enough attention to the where (names) or some detail that showed that this was in the past, or this was in the now.

SO...I finished it in 4 days. I had a whole day without anything scheduled. I won't say I stayed in my pj's but pretty close. I did move around for different sitting postures. I thought, maybe the last 20 pages I could put off till tomorrow.

No way! So I slept soundly that night, not a concern in my brain, because Gamache had once again prevailed against the forces of evil!

I've now watched the first four Three Pines episodes. A book is divided into 2 parts, or episodes. It's pretty close to the original stories, but the director/producer chose to focus on the Indigenous people's problems and I just don't remember that being the focus of the first 2 books. It was certainly in the background, but here if you look at the airtime given to it, it's almost more important than finding the murderer. Of course the murderers were related to the Indigenous people's problems, so maybe I'm just off track. You know I'll watch till the end of this season!

And I won't presume to put anyone else's quote here, and Louise's work is all copywrighted, so you'll just have to go read one of her books. I got my first 10 at the library.

14 comments:

  1. ...I have always been curious about curiosities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    I was able to reserve this new book from my library and finished it in 2 days. I also watched the Three Pines series on Amazon. It is different from the book, but I still enjoyed the TV episodes. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this one on hold too at the library. I do enjoy her writing style. Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, and I dare say libraries made a good impact on her sales right off the bat!

      Delete
  4. I will have to give her a try. She's a new name to me. Thank you for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to share something/someone I enjoy so much! Hope you like her. When someone first told me about her series, they said it didn't matter if you didn't start with the first one, as many of the flash-backs add to the story in each new edition.

      Delete
  5. I've never read her books but my wife has and she liked them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's ok by me. Glad you wife likes Penny's books.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks. I have purchase just the last 5 or so. Not sure if I'll read them again...which is the reasoning behind the outlay of bucks for books.

      Delete
  7. We have it on audio. I’ll wait for SUe to read it first because two reading the same book on different devices can get confusing.

    I guess I like the tv series, but it is so different. Besides changing the plot, even the characters are different even though they have the same names and roughly function the same way.

    Yup are quite allowed to throw in quotes here and there. You can’t copy and paste significant portions. At least that’s the way here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you have the audio. I enjoyed hearing the proper pronunciations of French phrases when listening to several of the books from the library.
    The TV series has lots of French mumble mouths...so I'm glad they have English Captions available. It even helps on English when they get to talking fast, or when the Indigenous people talk. Now I'll have to pay more attention to which characters have the names from the books, but have been changed.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.