Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Friday, December 9, 2022

New restaurant opens finally

 It's called the Pure and Proper...named after the building, the old gas station, Pure Oil.

And someone had a "then and now" photo also...

It looked like this for the 15 years I've lived here...and obviously it closed long before that!
I posted about the rennovations several times last year, but here's my first post about it, with a more detailed photo.




I followed many months this summer and fall as it changed into...

The final design.




Yes, a small dining room, but for better weather, there are also some outdoor tables. And I would guess those white fuzzy chair covers will be soiled within a week.





 

Pretty classy, as Pure and Proper should be!


Today's quote:

The mark of the educated man is not in his boast that he has built his mountain of facts and stood on the top of it, but in his admission that there may be other peaks in the same range with men on the top of them, and that, though their views of the landscape may be different from his, they are nonetheless legitimate. -E.J. Pratt, poet (1882-1964)

14 comments:

  1. Hello,
    The new restaurant is really cute. I would think the fuzzy chair covers will not last long. The waffles look yummy! Take care, enjoy your day and happy weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With this wet weather, those seat covers won't be comfortable for the second visitors. Who thought them up anyway! Happy weekend to you as well, Eileen!

      Delete
  2. Quite a transformation. I hope they have a successful run. I remember you following a mural too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and it's still up, behind which hopefully the glass blowing establishmen is being built. It's the building next door to this...the stone one you see in the first photo. So it's as old as the gas station or maybe older.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I'm glad they kept the interesting architectural elements of the original.

      Delete
  4. Whoever designed the fuzzy seat covers was not in the restaurant business. What a mistake. Let us know how long it takes for them to disappear. LOL. Never had waffle sandwiches before. What did you order?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't visited as a patron yet. Can't wait to do so. WOnder if they serve coffee, and oops, there goes a shaggy seat cover. I actually thought (my mysoginistic past of from being brought up with these beliefs - shame on me!) that a woman designer came up with them. Whoever it was didn't know about little kids with parents, nor the weather today where everyone will be damp all over! So I'm glad to have saved a photo of them, in their pristine condition!! I am a sucker for waffles...but just simple ones with syrup.

      Delete
  5. The remodel looks great, very inviting. Those seat covers are definitely a mistake. (NewRobin13)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if they were even left on the chairs for the first customers...maybe just a PR photo, which I've copied.

      Delete
  6. They did a fantastic job on the transformation. Hope they get lots of new customers and become a successful new business for the community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of eating there for tomorrow's lunch, but their vegetarian fare is thin...and I doubt they have vegan waffles, though there are gluten free. My friend watches her diet more than I do.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Glad to have saved all those old photos on my blogs!!

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.