Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Saturday, December 17, 2022

From getting high(er) up, to ...?

From getting high(er) up, to musical instruments and then a radio operator


You may have seen a few of these sepia photos...some by famous photographers.

Getting up high to light gas street lights. 

A west Texas cowgirl - getting above the ground in a different way.

Dust bowl farmers in west Texas 1937 photo by Dorthea Lange

Norman Rockwell depicts the way books can take a boy into another world.



A photograph of many famous scientists, 1927 Solva Conference, of whom 19 were Nobel Prize winners. I would think these men had great imaginations in order to invent new things!


2nd Division Army Band in front of the Alamo, March 1920

Sepia Sturday's post for this week, has an operator of some major electronic gadget. If he understands radios, I wish he'd come over and fix my CD player. I can't play my favorite Christmas tunes.




Today's Quote:

Alone we can do so little. Together we can do so much.

HELEN KELLER

18 comments:

  1. That first one would give issues to someone who doesn't like heights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could probably make a playlist on YouTube or elsewhere. I know: not the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have iTunes on the phone...and another old laptop...once I did have a play list. But now I don't want to take the time. I like instant pleasure of choosing YouTube to play (say) instrumental Christmas tunes. But they are sure not the ones I have CD's for.

      Delete
  3. ...you have collected some fun images.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos, my favorite is the Norman Rockwell image. Take care, have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful pictures. The Norman Rockwell is a favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, say's the fiction writer. I imagine you've been on many a quest with one heroine or another!

      Delete
  6. You picked a nice series of photos to share, I enjoyed seeing them. My favorite is the first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting that you chose a man working to turn on light in the night...a good thing to do!

      Delete
  7. The first one is so atmospheric. Sometimes I wish we still had gaslights instead of these super bright horrors that hide the dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely looks more moody, when foggy...and I imagine they could see the stars more at that time!

      Delete
  8. That shadowy lamplighter photo is wonderful.

    I like the Rockwell painting. He could portray an idea well. S

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some wonderful photos here. Particularly like the Dorthea Lange dustbowl photo. I once went to an exhibit of her work, which is even more poignant in person. This photo reminds us that not everyone is in a position to celebrate the holiday season the way they might like.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for another medley of images. I've always thought the job of a lamp lighter, especially in a big city, would be a very tedious job having to turn countless street lamps on and then returning the next morning to turn them off again. Dorthea Lange is one of my favorite photographers too and her work is partly the inspiration for my passion in collecting old photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As always a fine varied & interesting collection of photographs! My fav's, the lamplighter, and Norman Rockwell's boy reading. I hope you get you CD player fixed. That can be frustrating - especially at this time of year when you want to play season favorites!

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.