Black Mountain

A grey spring day at Lake Tomahawk, Mar 22, 2024

Saturday, December 3, 2022

Goofing off families vs. Victorian seriousness

 Another Sepia Saturday at Barbara's blog...

From FB, "Father and son goofing off, 1910s."

The women who worked in the kitchen for Thanksgiving (in CT) - goofing off.


More of my family, the BIG armed son and his wife (FL)

My big head and my son (from CO)

My three grands (from FL) looking amazingly normal!

My son (from OH) and three quarters of one of his daughters.

Another leg of my family who met for a wedding a few years back (FL). My grandson had to make a face!!

A couple of my granddaughters and their cousin...a grand-cousin?

Daughter-in-law with 2 of her daughters as bookends. (OH)


Son and daughter-in-law (CO).



The prompt photo has a serious family gathered for their portrait...as well as that unbelievable beard on the patriarch. But I like my series of family photos better, though my own family isn't quite as old as this one! And notice I didn't call a one of these photos a selfie. I've gotten to hate that term!

Today's quote:
For one human being to love another: that is perhaps the most difficult of all our tasks, the ultimate, the last test and proof, the work for which all other work is but preparation. -Rainer Maria Rilke, poet and novelist (1875-1926)

20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks...I love them no matter what they do with their faces!!

      Delete
  2. All the happy faces! Much better than in Victorian times when they had to stay still for the photo. I have a photo of my mother as a two year old on her mother's lap with her family standing around. Everyone is stock still and my mom is a blur. She couldn't sit still. I love that they kept that photo anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad they did keep the photo of all the "proper and still people" as well as your mom the blur!!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful family photos, looks like everyone was having a fun time. Take care, have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes a camera gets brought out to capture the fun, other times, everyone's too busy laughing and talking!

      Delete
  4. I'm glad your family doesn't have the need to pose and look serious for the camera. Even the old photo has smiles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That old photo (at the beginning) obviously wasn't my family. But I can certainly see my kids and grands doing things like that.

      Delete
  5. That first one is unexpected, because old photos are always so serious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a truly beautiful family. Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The 1910 one must be unusual, if it's even real?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there were contact sheets made of several negatives at a time, which this looks like.

      Delete
  8. I agree! Your photos are much more fun, and more in keeping with modern times when we're more likely to wear comfortable knits than starched collars. Nice to meet your family here. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thrilled some family members share on FB. Some don't, so their photos are more rare.

      Delete
  9. So many smiles! It's one of the delights of modern photography that it's so much easier to capture a smile. Even the old red-eye or face blurred by motion is rare to see anymore. For my son's wedding we took two versions of the big family photo. One with everyone smiling and a second all serious. The second was in imitation of a wedding photo taken in 1935 of the family that once lived in my house. We even changed the modern color to the old sepia tone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations at turning the serious prompt photograph on its head and giving us something to smile at. Lovely to see your family in happy times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be goofy when they want to. One member just had cancer free tests done, so was over the moon about tthat!

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.