Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Friday, December 23, 2022

The Folk Art Center

It's really the Southern Highlands Craft Guild...and they had a "second's" sale for 2 Saturdays. That meant perfectly good but somehow flawed works.

I forgot to wear a mask and as usual was coughing...so I didn't take any photos of the cringing crowd around me in the bigger room where many potters and jewelers and a few fabric dyers were displaying...though they could very well have worn masks (the cringing crowd I mean.)



During the day this member potter had done some demonstrations. She wasn't working when we walked by. But her horse hair raku pieces (to the left of tree) were lovely!

To the right is the National Park shop, and then in the far distance is the bigger shop of the Folk Art members...and  up a ramp is a gallery of rotating displays. 

Let's see if I remember this right. The Blue Ridge Parkway is a National Park, so they own this land. I think the Southern Highlands people built the building, and/or lease it. One of those contractural arrangements. The SoHi people are membership only, with some kind of jury to select who gets in, and they have to live within the southern US states. Not sure that FL is allowed though, and maybe not as far west as Mississippi or Louisana. Kentucky and Virginia are ok though, as well as Tennessee. I know of one potter from Georgia.

I excused myself and sat on a bench to cough as quietly as I could. Oh, and I did ask for a mask several places, and the National Park people offered me a paper one. I was grateful until I put it on my face to smell the Raid or some other insecticide. I gave it back and they threw it away.

I did see a nice display, which I'll share in another post. It was off by itself!


Today's quote:

I have yet to hear a man ask for advice on how to combine marriage and a career. 

- Gloria Steinem, activist, editor (b. Mar 1934)

7 comments:

  1. Hello,
    Hubby and I have visited this Folk Art Center, it was very nice. I try to remember to keep a mask in my coat pockets.
    Merry Christmas to you and your family!
    Wishing you all the best in 2023!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy holidays to you all. It is a good place to visit, especially if weather isn't great for being outdoors. Ah, I'll always have a mask now!!

      Delete
  2. ...I try to wear a mask wherever I go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very smart...though those of us who do so are still in the minority. But at least we're not considered as weird these days.

      Delete
  3. Still masking up here whenever we go shopping. It surprises me how many people aren't wearing masks. I hope everyone stays safe this holiday season. Take care there, (NewRobin13)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear. I just read an article about how twitter people argue over masking, as well as vaxxing. Well, I'm glad we still have free choice! Hope you stay safe and warm too. It's due to be 0 degrees F this evening...and terrible winds, but no precipitation. Small blessing I guess. Others north of me aren't so lucky.

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.