Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Tuesday, December 27, 2022

It's finally above freezing!

 But I couldn't wait. I thought I could, but when it was 27 degrees F, I drove over to Flat Creek to see how the ice situation was with water on rocks. It did not disappoint. But I discovered my teeth were cold, even with my mouth closed. I have become so used to wearing a mask, which kept my mouth and nose quite warm! This was a brief trip, barely across the bridge and down to the bank of the creek.









I don't think any snow had fallen, just ice that bubbled into existence where water was still enough to freeze!

This is my new header for "When I Was 69 (Now 80)" blog...where I post my opinions and interests beyond my own life.


Today's quote:

"Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influence of the earth."  —Henry David Thoreau

12 comments:

  1. Hello,
    The views of the icy lake and river are pretty. I am glad it is warming up now. Take care, have a great day and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the impermanence of ice (or snow) whenever it happens.

      Delete
  2. ...the icey stream is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom, I was thrilled that it looked so nice right there by the bridge. I knew there was a little waterfall/cascade at the end of the trail, but didn't have the breath to go that far.

      Delete
  3. The mixture of ice and water is attractive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And as I posted all of these, I thought how you would have narrowed it down to one or two views!

      Delete
  4. I love seeing the ice in the creek there. It's so beautiful. Thank you for braving the cold for these photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like still being able to go see some beautiful things in nature. It's sad to finally live in the mountains and not be able to hike due to breathing difficulties. But there are still many lovely things to see!

      Delete
  5. So picture worthy! I wanted to take a few today but hubby was driving and doesn't want to stop as often as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to see images of winter from northern hemisphere when we are in summer Australia. So thankyou. and Thankyou for visiting my blog this week. It was great to meet you. Ah, a positive of wearing a mask, keeping mouth and nose warm. Enjoy the rest of your week and 2023.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks cold! It’s been the same way here.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.