Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Sunday, March 17, 2024

A mountain ridge is not flat along the sides

March 17 is St. Patrick's Day.

In the literal observation of a Saint from the Catholic church, even though he has some great stories attributed to him, most Protestants in Ireland would not be observing this holiday.

In fact they wear Orange.

As a protestant - or at least not Catholic, I tried that once. Got many pinched arms as result.

SO  - I go along with the flow. There are many times more Irish descendants in the USA than there are either Catholics or Protestants in Ireland. I kid you not. Thousands more!

A pretty dawn sky  before rain started last Friday.


When a low sun hits my ridge view, suddenly it's not just a silhouette, but has three dimensions. But you have to be fast to capture what that sun is telling you. Bear with me that looking at that ridge through the many branches of trees is really an enjoyable pursuit for me. It will soon be gone for about 6 months of having leaves outside on these trees.


Within minutes you can see all the slopes are crenelated, and not just a flat surface which the usual dark mountains against bright sky lead one to believe.





I love being able to imagine how roads travel up through the mountains. (Yes I posted this a few days ago...did you notice?)

The end of the day.



Vincent van Gogh painted the scene of The Starry Night, which would become one of his most famous works, a total of 21 times.

Today's quote:

One may have a blazing hearth in one's soul, and yet no one ever comes to sit by it. -Vincent van Gogh, painter (1853-1890)



9 comments:

  1. Beautiful skis and views! Happy St. Patrick's Day! Take care, enjoy your day and have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...religion does a poor job of uniting people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, certainly historically the Irish, and the British as well.

      Delete
  3. Living in S. Colorado, I've always wanted to drive over the mountains rather then around them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting up on top of the mountains in CO, isn't in a straight line, ever, I think.

      Delete
  4. You have a grand view right now.

    The potato famine led to a huge about of Irish emigration. One of my great great grandfathers probably emigrated around that time. So, I think I am 1/8th Irish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and you sure inherited the gift of blarney, I'd say!

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.