Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Saturday, March 9, 2024

Chasing history

 Houses on Vance Ave. that might have been pictured recently in my post featuring a 1915 postcard...HERE.

The other day I wanted to check out the newest coffee shop, "Recess." It had just opened, but I also heard their baked goods had sold out quickly. This was around 3 pm, so I didn't really want/need coffee. 

It's on the left-hand side of this building on Black Mountain Ave.

While on the right end is a meat place. On the other side of the parking lot is Louise's Kitchen which serves breakfast and lunch (and often has a line waiting).

But let's look from the view the post card had...sort of. It's now an auto repair place, instead of a good old hotel which burned down many years ago...new building completely.



The railroad tracks haven't changed, and what I thought was a berm along the far side is really just how the railroad cut into the mountain, which shows in the land below the tracks on Vance.

And here's the post card so you can actually compare perhaps the buildings in 1915 to those in 2024.




So I drove slowly west on Vance, taking photos of the older houses.

On the north/uphill side of Vance St...one of the first old houses.

This one is on the south side of the street, and connected to next door...

This church which is pretty new.

Back looking north, up the hill, I noticed several of these older houses have been cut up into apartments.


These were the only pair of the hip-roofed cottages, which would possibly have been around that long ago. (south side of street)



My last shot of a house on the uphill side of Vance Ave. 

I'm not convinced any are the same buildings. Maybe the register of deeds...but I'm not interested in that deep a search. I want to be making little pottery dragons, remember?

Sharing again with Sepia Saturday. This is where those old photos often take us, to see what's there now!

Today's quote:

The grandeur of human actions is measured by the inspiration from which they spring. Happy is he who bears a god within, and who obeys it.—Louis Pasteur


Today March 9: 
National Barbie Day, 
Get Over It Day

18 comments:

  1. ...you found some wonderful porches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the tour of the houses! Take care, enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those front porches! I would love to see inside the houses, as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I don't know anyone who lives there, so can't just go up and knock on the door...

      Delete
  4. You have some unique looking houses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are pretty standard around these southern mountains.

      Delete
  5. So glad some of the old houses survive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whether in the post card photo or not, some of these must be pretty old.

      Delete
  6. Our town is a combination of young and old! I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always impressed by the landscape in old picture postcards of our mountains. Back in the day it seems there were fewer trees and more grassland which reflects on the logging and agriculture that our region once supported. I had never noticed the railroad berms before. I suspect that the nature of the rail bed has greatly changed from the days of old steam engines pulling fewer cars to modern locomotives capable of hauling longer and much heavier trains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point to think about. And now there are fewer trains going by here in Black Mountain. But the trees have now grown back up. There's even an organization listing heritage trees in town. They mapped where they are. I have something to do when the weather is warmer!

      Delete
  8. It's often hard to try and imagine what an area looked like in the past, and with some houses hard to tell if they are old ones that have been changed/extended, or new-builds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed. And I doubt that I was able to stand in the same spot as where the post card photo was taken. There is no hotel any more there.

      Delete
  9. Here in Sonora (CA), we have many old 1800/early 1900s homes - some of which have been beautifully restored, and some which have been turned into apartments or duplexes. There's one in particular which I go past nearly every day painted a pale lavender with gingerbread trim painted white. It is gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually lived in several old homes adapted into apartments in my lifetime. They are always funny, either with the original kitchen or bath, and the other parts either added inside, wall making a new hall in the house. But they do meet the needs of people (like us as young married couple moving into a new town) who come to a new area.

      Delete
  10. From Scotsue - it is always interesting to see where our fellow bloggers live and I enjoyed seeing the type of houses in your town..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. There are many more modern beautiful homes, usually hidden up a long driveway between bushes so I can't photograph them!

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.