Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Thursday, March 21, 2024

YMCA Blueridge Assembly

 My friend asked if I'd ever been up to see it. I said no, but we did that day. The last time I had tried I was turned away, probably because it was during a time they were holding a conference. This time nobody stopped us as we climbed through first a planted parkway of spruce trees, then a rhododendron forest to the area with many big white buildings with bright red roofs.




The rhododendrons are accompanied by many tall grey trunked trees. 

To give you an idea of the repeated architectural features of several buildings, this was indicated to be The Gym.

The front of the main building has three or four stories in height, and has extended wings that more than double its original size. I was backing  up to get this shot, and never got a better one of the front.

But just look at the backside of that building, made entirely of wood. We of course had comments about fire protection.


I mentioned that from my apartment, I can see some red roofs across the valley on the middle of the side of the mountain ridge.  


From outside on my balcony I used full 5x magnification. There's a blur of red within the tree branches. Don't pay attention to the orange roof at the bottom, of another apartment building.

March 21:  National Common Courtesy Day, 
California Strawberry Day, 
French Bread Day, 
World Down Syndrome Day, 
World Poetry Day

Sharing with Thankful Thursday

Today's quote:
 

It is important that we all find people that believe in us, just as we believe in others.

13 comments:

  1. Looks like a beautiful building, the front looks grand! Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has historically been used for different things. Once, Black Mountain College was housed in the original part of the main building.

      Delete
  2. ...YMCA Blueridge Assembly reminds me of place built in the Adirondacks years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like a place worth seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it a conference or retreat center? Quite a complex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes both I think. Summertime will have big greyhound size busses arriving for the start of sessions, then turning around at the end of the week.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful sunny pictures and wonderful quote. Barbara. Aloha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cloudia! You and I have a penchant for quotes...but you also write poetry. I just blog (and make clay things!)

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.