Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Thursday, June 1, 2023

Back walking again

Happy June First!

 I wonder how many times I've started my "regular walking" intentions. And just as many times left them off because of weather, or hurting this or that. Usually something to do with the coughing. Maybe triggered by...pollen, polution, smoke, lawn care. Anything seems to make me cough. And that saps my energy.

But yesterday (last week now) I did a walk all the way around Lake Tomahawk. Let's say there were frequent photo stops, and one complete sit down on the bench stop. But that last third of the walk was really intense! I pushed this old machine and she acccomplished it! What was the option, if you're 2/3s around, there's nothing but find another bench or push on through. Marathoners have nothing on me.

It's sad but true. But my 30 minutes that I count as walking that half mile, with some of the stopping included, did give me a sense of accomplishment. Yay me.

Now for the photos.

But first I had to share these flip flops since Tom posted that yesterday was Flip Flop Day. 


As I started my walk, not knowing how far/long I could go, I met these sweet elderly women going at a much slower pace than I walked. And they were finishing their stroll!

I decided I'd look at the scenery from that little useless dock structure. Off on those blue mountains is where I know the Blue Ridge Parkway passes.


The other direction had an interesting shadow pattern and a fountain. Not a duck or goose anywhere near the lake today. (But just wait a while...later...)

A little maintenance road has been my choice in winters to take a shot of those mountains when they had snow tops. I wonder if that will ever happen again.

THis is the main overflow channel under a bridge.

The family in this close house apparently has a construction business.

Next shots...the dam, the shade, the ducks, the geese!

Today's quote:

If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is “Thank You,” it will be enough.

MEISTER ECKHART



12 comments:

  1. So easy to drop, be too busy to walk.....so hard to get back into the routine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm thrilled a friend has been asking to join me...added help to keep going!

      Delete
  2. ...walking seems like such a simple activity until parts of your body rebel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. Those parts are just what need our attention at times. But keep on keeping on is my motto.

      Delete
  3. Pretty views of the lake. Kudos on your walking, it is good to get into a walking routine. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm glad to have a friend going with me now (a week later!)

      Delete
  4. Nice little accomplishment. With you-know-what installed within me, walking is more problematic than ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can certainly imagine. But do whatever you can to keep all your muscles alive and ready for the next few steps, whether up or down stairs, or just around the house!!

      Delete
  5. I like your commitment to walking, Barbara. I hope you feel well enough to do it as often as you can. You see such lovely views there. Take care and stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I can just swing along then there won't be as many photos. Ah, that'll be the day!

      Delete
  6. We're dealing with heat, but it should break during the night Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What has held me back from my former exercise regime is this darn hand surgery. I'm tired of being hampered by it and can't understand why it saps me so much. Good for you getting back to an exercise you like.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.