Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Monday, June 5, 2023

Enjoying friends and lunch

 We went to the Stoney Knob Cafe in Weaverville for lunch after all the exercise of walking between various buildings at the Vance Museum and History Center. (More on that to come soon!)


Just walking in, being led to the next dining room, we knew this was an experience in decor!

I don't remember the name of our dining room, but there's a shrine to Mother Mary at the far side of the big table in the middle. Great skylight!


Nobody seemed to know who this angel/saint was. The hand in the cloak is probably significant. Susan (sitting under his blessing) didn't know either.


Yes Mona Lisa was already enhanced that way...looking over Helen's shoulder while we ate.


Susan and I sat in front of a fortune telling altar, where someone could have their Tarot Cards read, I was told.

Susan had a salad with strawberries and basil herbed chicken.

Judy and I had the Grouper Picatta with mashed potatoes and asparagus spears.

My vegan friend Helen, had the Salmon Stir Fry without salmon! 


And I provided brownies out of my purse...at last, three less for my tummy!

Then we went to various shops in Weaverville, enjoying being tourists!

Today's quote:

If more politicians in this country were thinking about the next generation instead of the next election, it might be better for the United States and the world. -Claude Pepper, senator and representative (1900-1989)


14 comments:

  1. ...I love the Mona Lisa. Did you read that Trump said that he is just like the Mona Lisa, a treasure???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to say I never (if I have a choice) listen to anything the orange dude has to say. Many a 'mute' or 'fast forward' in news (his life is really pathetic)...or even sometimes just 'hide' a post from friends in FB. Then I miss other things they post, sad but true. But it's one way to keep myself sane!

      Delete
  2. Very unusual with Mary, angles, fortune telling, and tarot (which I guess is the same thing 😄 ).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the crowds line up to eat there...we arrived at noon and somehow were able to be seated immediately!

      Delete
  3. The meals look yummy, I love brownies. The restaurant decor is pretty. I love those hanging lights in the first photo. Take care, have a happy week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those lights, as well as the ones under the skylight, must look very different in the dark!

      Delete
  4. Looks like a lovely day with friends there. Very interesting art at that cafe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to find a new place that I can recommend. THough eating vegetarian is pretty limited.

      Delete
  5. Looks delicious! The saint might be St. Martin of Tours who shared his cloak with a beggar (who later turned out to be Jesus.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or...I found more than one saint who'd had his hand cut off...Saint John of Damascus was a theologian and a zealous defender of Orthodoxy. His most important book is the Fount of Knowledge. He's known as Venerable John of Damascus...and had a somewhat Eastern connection, since some of the dishes at the restaurant were a bit Greek oriented.

      Delete
  6. Looks like a fun day with your friends and some tasty food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I was so hungry I ate it all up! Should have had the salad!

      Delete
    2. Ammendment...I couldn't eat anything but the tips of the asparagus...it was really tough! Or my old chompers just were fine for softer things! We shall see when I have the next salad!

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.