Black Mountain

A grey spring day at Lake Tomahawk, Mar 22, 2024

Friday, June 9, 2023

My last trip to Lake Tomahawk

 ...before the tiny smoke particals drove me inside. You just never know that something so strange is going to impact your life, do you. Canadian wildfires bringing the whole east coast at least down to North Carolina mountains - fine smoke.

My voice was impacted first (which is my "canary in the mine" symbol for me). Throat became sore, had to work harder just to speak, wanted to drink teas to sooth it. I wore a mask on Thurs when I had an appointment. 

Last Mon. my Dr. said I sounded hoarse when I was speaking. I thought it was due to not having talked to anyone before him that day. On Tues. we had our first moderate polution warnings. I hadn't needed a mask  (I thought.) I just walked from the car into a store and back.

But here I sit on Thursday, remembering the last time I walked around the lake.




The Japanese Maple has it's summer leaves on.

An Oak Hydrangea looks over the fountain.


Looking toward the "Seven Sisters Mountains."

When I took a rest on a bench, there were two presents. I left both of them there.


I have to share my Non Stop Joy Begonia...it just gives me such joy!

Sharing with Skywatch Friday and Floral Friday Fotos

Today's quote:

Robert Pirsig, author of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance,  wrote: "The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands, and then work outward from there. Other people can talk about how to expand the destiny of mankind. I just want to talk about how to fix a motorcycle. I think that what I have to say has more lasting value."





19 comments:

  1. ...will we learn at climate change because of these fires?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Extreme weather conditions, drought, storms, floods and fires, are the results of climate change, no doubt in my mind.

      Delete
  2. Love the blooms and the pretty views. The painted rock is cute. Our skies are the same here, hazy and very poor air quality. Take care, enjoy your day and happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel almost as cabin-bound as during winter days, but there is a lot more light!

      Delete
  3. Our smoke was mostly local from probably not too huge of a fire, so it cleared up after a few days. The worst day was the day of my surgery. The hospital in our town cancelled surgeries, but I was out of town for my procedure, and they went on with it. Thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you had your procedure and hope your recovery is going well. That's good also that your smoke isn't too bad.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful views! At last word the fires up the Ottawa Valley here had been brought under control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's some good news. I loved someone's post of the 200 firefighters from South Africa who were singing in the airport. Of course they had to go out into the fires without singing!

      Delete
  5. My brother in Virginia has been emailing us about the smoke there. We were so surprised it had reached that far south, and now we know that it made it all the way to you. Really sorry to know that it's there and having an impact on you like that. Beautiful views to balance these times we're living in. Take care there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Staying inside as much as possible. I hate beautiful days when there's air caution warnings! Maybe the rain this weekend will help us.

      Delete
  6. Lovely pictures. I wore a mask outside yesterday. The air is cleaner today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure looks cleaner today. Our weatherman said as soon as the wind shifts to coming from the south, then we won't have any more smoke. I'm watching.

      Delete
  7. Hopefully the smoke doesn't hang around very long. Keep safe and it's good that you wear a mask. Climate change in action, what will it take for non believers to understand this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am among many who cope with situations. But I also warn everyone that climate change is like being the frogs as the pot of water is beginning to boil...we're a little too late to jump out of the pot.

      Delete
  8. I love the Pirsig quote. I should reread Zen and the Art--it's been a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read it as I drove 10,000 miles in a camper with my 2 sons one summer...a real eye opening experience!

      Delete
  9. How we are treating our world is a disaster. The wildfires should make us wake up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope the air clears up where you can again go to Lake Tomahawk. We just had a little touch of the smoke and it irritated my eyes.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.