Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Monday, December 25, 2023

Christmas is here!

 

Taken from playing a video on an old TV...this photo sort of shows my grandmother "Gummy" arriving with newspaper-wrapped presents in about 1947.


Same conditions captured my mother, Mataley Rogers preparing the turkey in 1947, in the kitchen on Cumberland St. in Houston, TX.

See my post with more of my family's early Christmas here.

Here I am, following a star (our sun) in the West (forgive my stretching of the story).

What is this I see, an E4...does that mean anything? Perhaps Endeavor For, or Engaging Four, or Emmanuel coming Forth! I am open to considering that these are wise men going to find the King of Kings.

And like a sheep following it's shepherd, there's the bigger truck ahead, going down the next hill as they pass one of the hotels in our town, which must be full for the holidays. There are two more motels to consider, wherever that star might lead them. Perhaps a stable behind one of them...

Well, my fantasy of Following the Star to the Babe in Bethlehem was given a reality check at the next red light.
Yes, our very own Black Mountain Fire Department was driving somewhere (unknown but without sirens) to obtain provisions, greet less able persons, give away toys, or perhaps park outside a local restaurant for lunch. 

I'm so glad these first responders are there when we might need them. For me, when I call 911 in the middle of the night, one of these trucks usually arrives first, before the ambulance. So these fire fighters are there listening to me talk about my symptoms, rather than putting out a fire. But as soon as the EMTs arrive, they give them the information. I think it's a redundant system, but these guys are much faster and know CPR...so may save lives in that way.

So while celebrating the birth of Jesus today, I honor also the care givers and first responders of our world.

I'm actually in Florida today with my son, grandchildren and other relations. 

My new chakra beaded bracelet!

Barb and Marty getting an early present from me.

I'd worry if this was an aura portrait. But it's the Dali' Museum's idea of an impressionistic portrait of myself.
Grandson Michael is the Cookie King. Each year he spends at least a day making lots and lots of cookies, then puts them in tins, and I guess gives them to friends and relatives as presents.

My son's tree is a rotating tree, so the gifts are over to the side. Cats are happy sitting on the skirt, and have been strictly admonished to leave the ornaments alone. They are behaving pretty well.




I do hope all of these blogger friends have merry time today, with whoever you choose to be with!

Today's quote:

Nothing so soothes our vanity as a display of greater vanity in others; it makes us vain, in fact, of our modesty. 
-Louis Kronenberger, writer (1904-1980)



Many thanks to those who share their photos on Facebook!



Salvador Dali




10 comments:

  1. I am thankful for the first responders and all those who have to work on the holidays.
    Merry Christmas to you and your family! I wish you all the best in 2024, Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you all have a merry time today, as well as for the coming year.

      Delete
  2. ...I remember wrapping presents in the color paper from the Sunday's funny section. have a wonderful Christmas in Florida. ☃️ 🎄 ❄️ 🎅🏼

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are fond old memories, and a friend is reinstating that tradition with views to using less manufactured goods with any fossil fuel components.

      Delete
  3. Glad you are enjoying Florida, and I hope you don't have to greet the first responders this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks for the very appropriate wish for me! I do hope the same for all of us blogger friends!

      Delete
  4. Engine 4, if I had to guess. I have a fire station a few blocks from my place, and periodically hear the trucks go by on a call.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nostalgic and heartwarming glimpse into your family's past Christmas celebrations! The vintage photo captures the essence of those cherished moments. Heading over to your post for more glimpses into your family's early Christmas.

    Visit https://www.melodyjacob.com/ for more festive memories. Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you are enjoying Christmas with your son and his family, Love the old video captures, it's nice to see the old family photos coming up for a view.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that vanity quote. The Dali is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.