Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Saturday, December 23, 2023

The celebration continues

While I'm visiting family in FL...so glad to see them, and to be here in December (you know why!) I do want to keep posting. Why do you think I have a laptop! Here're some oldies you might enjoy.


 

Macy's Parade, 1924 with Central Park Zoo elephants


First balloon animal in Macy's Parade was Felix the Cat. "Floats" may be the theme for my post.



Macy's Parade, 1930



The last float in the Asheville Thanksgiving Parade 2023. Black Mountain had it's Christmas Parade Dec. 2 this year.


I hope all my Sepia Saturday blogging friends have a very Happy Christmas, and a Merry New Year. See you in 2024! (I'll have some blogs here for the non-SS folks)


What somber people in North Carolina in 1956! Goodness!



Note the car for little boy on far left.



About 1916-17 Uncle Chauncey in the Auto, and Junior (my father, George Rogers) wearing a tin pail or such. My father had been born in 1914...So it's a guess as to dates. Chauncey was born in 1912 so they were close in age.


Today's quote:
The gift of disappointment is to bring us into reality so we don’t get stuck in the realm of how things might have been.


14 comments:

  1. Have a fun and happy holidays with your Florida family. A wonderful collection of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you are with family. I was wondering. 👍

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...the Macy's sure has changed over the years! ☃️ 🎄 ❄️ 🎅🏼

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes yes. Some fun times to share here! Of course the days of driving mean less chance to read blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neat pix of the early Macy's holiday parades. Sonora holds their lighted Holiday parade the evening after Thanksgiving. All the entries are lit up with lights. It's quite a deal and always well-attended. That's a beautiful tree in the old Christmas picture, and your Dad looks adorable in whatever he's put on his head. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a bit of a question for the ages...my dad in his tin hat!

      Delete
  6. I am glad you arrived safely. So nice that you are with family for the holidays! I wish we had driven down to Miami to see our son since it is so warm. Have a great time, Barb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely enjoying the warmth! But will return to experience the rest of the winter, somewhat rejuvinated. There's not much rejuve left for my life!

      Delete
  7. Have a great time in Florida, Barb! Merry and Happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...hope you all have a good time in my favorite mountains!

      Delete
  8. Who doesn't like a parade? Not me. I don't know where Alan found that frightful theme image from NC but I'm glad no one had any photos that matched. Enjoy your snow-free holiday and have a happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks neighbor! I'll be home during this next week. Looking forward to seeing those Blue Ridges again.

      Delete
  9. I too love parades and had heard of Macy’s . Your photographs show the wonderful scale of them. No wonder crowds flocked to see them.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.