Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Monday, April 22, 2024

Greening of the mountains

 I've reveled in seeing the slow (sometimes overnight!) movement of trees' turning green up the slopes from the valleys this spring.



So a few days ago (not on a weekend) I drove up on the Blue Ridge Parkway to see what there was on higher slopes.


Haw Creek Valley overlook from the Blue Ridge Parkway. Most greenery was evident on south facing slopes, or where the roadway had allowed more sun to hit the trees.




I continued to the next, my favorite, overlook.

A panorama shows the little curb of the extension of the overlook, which is designed for disabled access. I saw a jet plane off in the distanced higher than those clouds. And then suddenly the distant sound hit me, somehow carried over many miles, and it was gone again before the plane was out of sight.  A few minutes later I looked straight up and another plane was going overhead quite tiny to see, and I had it's sound just for a brief moment.



Somewhere in that distance is Black Mountain, but it's behind a ridge I think.  I consider this my backyard. I'll take my little chair up here and enjoy the changes through the seasons a few times this year. Once I brought a book. Nope, don't want to look at anything except this immensity of trees, and earth and rocks thrown up into mountains. It's about as far to drive from my home as it is to a doctor's office in Asheville. Guess which one I like to do most!

There are wonderful breezes that come and go on an afternoon. I thought I should have brought sunblock, though the sun was mostly behind me at around 3 pm.


This is my temporary header photo. Since I change the header all the time, I want to keep it here in a post.

I was glad to see a bit of dogwood in bloom. It was hard to get a photo of it, because you can't exactly pull over along the parkway. There are specific pull-out places where people park to go hiking, so those were the only choices besides the overlooks.



Slowing down and taking this through the windshield left a lot to be desired.




Today's quote:

Our brokenness is also the source of our common humanity, the basis for our shared search for comfort, meaning, and healing. Our shared vulnerability and imperfection nurtures and sustains our capacity for compassion.

BRYAN STEVENSON


14 comments:

  1. ...this is a magical time of year, enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finding I like spring better than fall...a change for me in later life!

      Delete
  2. The greening seemed to happen very quickly here. And what a good idea to take a chair and enjoy the views!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to do that at least monthly. And am trying to get a friend to join me. But perhaps a solitary meditation is what I need most.

      Delete
  3. It's always so lovely to see what you are seeing there... springtime in the mountains. Beautiful! (NewRobin13)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin. I have kind of decided I like spring better than fall since I've been living here in NC for 17 years.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely "backyard" you have. Here we are noticing the reddish haze showing up on the trees on the hill behind us. Spring comes with slowness here in New England but when it does arrive it's glorious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, we had that reddish haze too. Thanks for reminding me. You do have so many beautiful stages of each season to enjoy in New England (I lived there about 4 years).

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous breath taking country you have there! Fabulous that you are able to get out and above it all , take a chair and breath it all in! Stunning views- especially love the horse in the field, great perspective!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...I waved a few cars to pass me by, as I kind of stopped in the road to take that shot. The drivers thought me somewhat crazy, but who cares...I'm an eccentric old lady!

      Delete
  6. It is beautiful out there! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do have very nice geography. Our trees are just beginning to leaf -- some of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good to hear, finally getting some green going in Canada!

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.