Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Friday, April 26, 2024

Yesterday, today and tomorrow

 From yesterday (first off) here's an article about "Intheoaks" that was written before it became Montreat College in Black Mountain, as I posted in yesterday's blog.

Yesterday
And more recently another auto manufacturer (VW) became unionized by its workers.

I'm quite interested in news about the students' demonstrating on various college campuses and how various armed law enforcement personnel confronted them on Thursday, April 25. The students started weeks ago demonstrating against the hostilities killing innocent people in Gaza. Then the Jewish students were asked to study remotely by the administration of a few universities, to protect them from any "anti-Semitism."

So on the NBC news on April 25, I saw a long article about the college demonstrations all over the US. The UCLA demonstrations have meant they canceled the commencement ceremony. I also saw police arresting many students and faculty at different colleges. Then I wrote my son to see if his two college students were involved. He said yes, the daughter attending George Washington University, in DC, was right in the middle of things. (photo below)

Needless to say, this grandmother is feeling proud but a bit worried about her well being. I'm proud that she's demonstrating for a cause that is to promote peace, in stopping the war in Gaza. I'm worried that the violence from law enforcement isn't interested in peace as its goal.


The very short clip of the Ohio State University demonstrators (below) looked pretty orderly. I don't think my other granddaughter is involved, or her father would have told me. I'm going to see her graduate in a week.







Today (above)





Tomorrow?

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. This came out during the pandemic...appropriate!

      Delete
  2. I don't what is going on where, but at least some of this is way over the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely clashes with police are beyond what peaceful protest should be.

      Delete
  3. This really is so sad for all concerned. Well, for the victims. I don't know what other countries can do. I find it discouraging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some students are hoping their universities would stop connections with Israel...through grants and so forth. Of course some other students are more mindful of the hostages taken by Hammas. These are the future leaders of our civilization. I do remember how hopeful it felt during Viet Nam's war to fight against it. But real life is never so clear.

      Delete
  4. It reminds me when I was in college during the Vietnam war. Our college was closed down from the demonstrations. All was peaceful there but not in nearby Kent State.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that became the bell weather (if that's the correct phrase) for how demonstrations can go wrong. There sure are clips on national evening news that show arrests that look quite brutal, but at least no guns. I'll have to share sometime about how I tried to take part in protecting some demonstrators, after the fact.

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.