Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Sunday, April 7, 2024

Little Rainbow views

  My friend lives on a graded dirt road that winds around Little Rainbow Mountain. Her house is maybe the second to last up the road. (sorry to disappoint, no rainbows will be posted today!

Winter trees let me stop just below her house as I came down the mountain, and see all the way to the center of the town of Black Mountain.


A slight shift to the right.. and I could see a new development of houses, which are being flung up on steep slopes everywhere. Since the best value comes by dividing up an acre into tiny condos that are 2 stories, or maybe attached houses, they are quickly built and sold...and my friend says the construction shows the amount of attention given to the profit.


As I continued down the mountain, this road going off to the right (only for those coming the other way up the mountain) is to the trails on Little Rainbow Mountain. Our road is marked "Keep Out, Private Road."

As you might notice, very few evergreen trees.

The low greenery is rhododendron bushes. 

Some late forsythia still blooming.

Today's quote:

Many of us do not take the time to notice and acknowledge how beautiful we are as humans.

10 comments:

  1. ...I saw this on PBS last night.
    https://www.pbs.org/video/how-the-blue-ridge-mountains-almost-lost-their-blue-yxzaky/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lost my first reply comment. Wonder where it went... Anyway, thanks very much for this link.

      Delete
  2. This road has great views. Looks like spring is about to bloom here. BTW, thank you for viewing and commenting on my blog. That sculpture raises many questions, and the artist's meaning is a mystery. Yes, she is carrying a fork like a lance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I forgot to comment on the Cuban Sculpture, that she's not only wearing high heels, but is bald...what a fun/engaging/strange sculpture of a woman on a rooster. Everyone should check that out! Thanks for coming over and looking at my blog too TFG!

      Delete
  3. That looks like my kind of road, except for the unsightly developments. I hate when people "discover" a beautiful place...then promptly set about destroying the beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My feelings, and those of the residents of Little Rainbow Mountain as well. I notice a house at the end of the paved road is empty. My friend who died in 2012 rented it, and others have lived in it since. It might provide a home for someone who isn't in the "new condo" rental bracket.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for taking the time to acknowledge and share you live in a beautiful place. Aloha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're always welcome to visit...much like you welcome visitors to your islands.

      Delete
  5. That header!
    A lovely spot. Thanks for sharing your part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And another welcome anytime, just to drop by and check out what Black Mountain is like. Unfortunately changes happen everywhere.

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.