Black Mountain

The greening of the mountains from Blue Ridge Rd, Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Saturday, April 27, 2024

Some local scenes, and notes about my life back in the 70s

 

Wisteria vines or trees gone wild...and a strange red blossom showed itself.


When a lot is allowed to go back to nature, soon the dominant vines take over. But there still remains a curb under the greenery, perhaps stopping more growth from going further.


Others choose to butcher their trees to keep them manageable.


On Vance Ave, Black Mountain, can be found this "Little Brown Church."



The joyful burst of citified dogwoods.



Louise's Kitchen (restaurant for breakfast and lunch) still had their shelter curtains down when I took this, but I noticed a few days later, those eating on the porch were open to sunshine and warm breezes.


The other side of Louise's Kitchen has these wonderful double blossom cherry trees.


Looking at the cherry trees from the side.


A dogwood against North Carolina blue sky!

And then we had a cold Sunday with rain last week. This is what happened at my apartment. 



Last night's national news showed more demonstrators being arrested on different campuses. And Columbia's shot showed the tents still up, though I was under the impression the day before they'd been told to disperse by 4 am.

I have no news as to the situation my granddaughter was in at George Washington University. But the shots on the news of arrests at Ohio State U. were disturbing. That's where I hope to go next week for my other granddaughter's graduation. As far as I know it's still happening.

I am reminded so much of the demonstrations against the Viet Nam war by students in the early 70s. I didn't take part, though I certainly supported them from conversations at work on  coffee breaks. I was a single working mother, so I limited my involvement so I wouldn't jeopardize being the bread-winner for my children.

But when selected for jury duty, I was among many who were questioned for a trial against students who had engaged in a sit-down demonstration in the middle of a busy intersection in Tampa FL. Each prospective juror was asked if they had any relations in the military, or in a university. If so they were released, as having prior bias. I wasn't selected, because I'd been a part time student near the place where that demonstration took place, as well as my ex-husband having served in the past in the military. I was really hoping I could serve on that jury, but admit that I was biased. Actually of the first 100 jurors called, I don't think anyone was seated. The students did have some fines against them, but I don't believe any were incarcerated.

Sharing with Skywatch Friday and  Floral Friday Fotos



Today's quote:

Grief and love are sisters, woven together from the beginning. Their kinship reminds us that there is no love that does not contain loss and no loss that is not a reminder of the love we carry for what we once held close.

FRANCIS WELLER

17 comments:

  1. ...a few years ago I was on a Federal Grand Jury, what an ordeal that was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine. I guess I'm lucky to not have been on any jury in my life...

      Delete
  2. The blossoms are fab, but so is that bare tree in photo 3.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love riding around with you- beautiful shots! The little brown church is charming and of course the blossoming trees are absolutely lyrical! A very pretty springtime in your neighborhood! The smarter than we youth, leading us into common sense, does not bode well with establishment- EVER. I have been protesting all my life- the last time I marched, however, was with a pink pussy hat on my head. Marching and sitting protests has become more letter writing and card sending to the white house, not that that gets any attention, mind you-just makes me feel better thinking that Our voices count. So pleased that your grand daughter is a part of it all- making sense, demanding fairness- the youth are so displeased with the genocide and Biden that I fear he will lose the election and then , with orange dictatorship at the helm, we are all pretty much effed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure did have a lot of photos this week, glad you could wade through them! It is hard indeed to have a voice that counts these days. But I'm beginning to find social media seems to be a good outlet. Whether it ever makes an impact, I have no clue.

      Delete
  4. Your blossom trees are lovely, especially the dogwoods (don't think they're common over here). But yes, the rain soon dashes them, and we're having plenty of rain. I haven't seen your university campus demos covered in our News.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some networks only cover the more violent demonstration encounters with police. I've found NBC coverage at least gives various shots of different campuses. UCLA has cancelled it's commencement ceremony. It has been slanted as anti-Semitic when it's really just anti-war between Israel and Hammas. And sometimes videos show students wearing Palestinian garb standing against those waving Israeli flags...but all are wanting hostages freed and Gaza citizens to not be killed.

      Delete
    2. I agree with your extremely sane view. I refuse to accept anti-Semitism! I weep for the Palestinians and Israelis caught up in this. I want both people to flourish. God bless them

      Delete
    3. That's what sane people seem to know. The news is always about sensationalism. But tonight we saw two hostages whose faces were shown and the American's family answering him.

      Delete
  5. I appreciate your memories. I recently saw a photo of the first Earth Day. Alan Ginsburg reading in Philadelphia at Fairmount Park. I was there! Your area is deeply richly beautiful. And remember I'm saying this from Waikiki. Meet you at Louise's for lunch someday! Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would certainly be a welcome guest at Louise's for lunch! It is a deeply richly beautiful area, but I think Waikiki must take top prize for that. No beaches here!

      Delete
  6. The wisteria is splendid, even if overextended itself. I dislike heavily pruned trees and shrubs too, preferring the natural look.
    I have only been involved in a couple demonstrations, most recent in the DC Womens March in 2017. I believe in peaceful protest. Like you, I devoutly wish the best for both Jews and Palestinians, but for my entire 73 years these two groups have tried to kill each other. I cannot understand such intolerance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've only served on a jury once. It was great fun. Two good old boys had wrecked their car and each claimed the other was driving as each claimed he was too drunk to drive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely blossoms!
    I’ve seen comments lately that romanticized the 60s and said that the demonstrations then were peaceful. Anyone who thinks the 60s were sweet and peaceful wasn’t there, or else was stoned out of their mind. It was a turbulent era. The demonstrators were villainized, just as they are now. When one guy burned a flag, people assumed that everybody was burning flags. The same thing happened with bras for that matter, and draft cards, of course. Belittling demonstrators is an attempt at control.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Things are blooming all over the place where you are. Spring is certainly springing.
    I missed the demonstrations and riots at the University of New Mexico back in the day. I was in high school. My mother was taking classes there and had a class in a large auditorium disrupted when some demonsrators ran through running form the police. She got a slight whiff of tear gas.
    These demonstrations remind me of that era. If there is no violence I would not be agreeable for convicting somebody just for demonstrating or camping or any of that so I would be a poor juror I guess.
    I hate the over reaction by the so called conservative states where they are borderline brutal with the students. They do that but call the January 6 insurrectionists, political prisoners.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photos! Interesting and a bit sad how history repeats itself.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.