Black Mountain

Lake Tomahawk July 24, 2024

Tuesday, July 9, 2024

Just some stuff

 

I love this photo, but of course didn't take it. Seattle with Mt. Rainier 50 miles to the south.


This photo is one from my memories folder on FaceBook. 2018 in New York, my son Russ with his daughters posed in front of this sign. I thought it was a strange thing for the Jewish Museum to post. A friend of mine told me that it's a New York restaurant by that name. Those people who keep secrets from the rest of us!  Grrr.


Monday was hot, but it's due to be hotter today. We had at one time a possibility of thunder storms around 2 on Monday, but that didn't happen. Then at 5:40 we got rain in Black Mountain. By then all these sun worshippers had gone home. Me too. The rain had a bit of thunder, but was only a summer shower of 15 minutes.

I went to the studio after lunch here at the Lakeview Center.

I worked on another dragon, this one related to unicorns. Tee hee, I do digress in my good-dragon creations. These dragons are dedicated to saving the earth.

 The clay I'm working with dries out very fast, so maybe it's the air-conditioning, or I'm slow. But I will try doing something else with it and see if it is better that way.

This is a small plate (with three glazes overlapping to give 6 colors) and I am asking $28 for it. People pick it up, then pass. It's a bit heavy. But hey, it's pretty folks! The butterfly mug behind it has gone home with it's maker, namely me. I figured I was tired of people looking at it and not buying it, and I liked it enough to have at home. The little plate on the left is simple and I have a visible tag of $10. Geese. Just nobody wants to serve cheese or mints on any of these! So no plates will be out next Saturday.

As you can see, I'm terrible at retail. And I hate it. 

OK enough of the "troubles of an elderly potter" who after all isn't among the best out there, if I'm being totally honest.

I was relieved yesterday, when I talked with my son in FL who has Covid, that he was feeling better. And I messaged my cousin who lives near Houston. She only had rain at first, then a bit of wind blew a tree down across her driveway. She's very thankful that she still has electric power. She says today her neighbors may be able to help cut the tree up.

My health is ok, with coughing occurring at unexpected moments, brought on by dust in the air, or my position leaning back in a chair or lying down. I'm best sitting straight up.

 (Bronchiectasis/COPD/Asthma) Or just stress.

 I use my rescue inhaler, but it seldom really helps diminish coughs once they've started. And after a few hours of coughing I feel pretty exhausted.  I nebulize (breathe through a tube) with a saline solution to break up the mucous, but I usually am able to cough it up already. I just get tired of coughing and do the nebulizer just because that's another thing I should try. I'm going to complain to my pulmonologist today. He never has said anything will cure the coughs. He also won't tell me what my prognosis is.

Today's quote:

Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed. 

-Herman Melville, novelist and poet (1819-1891)



8 comments:

  1. Hello,
    Great photo of Seattle and Mt Rainier! I love the photo of your son and his daughters with the sign! I hope you feel better! Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen. Just plugging along here. Need to get away from my troubles, as you've heard enough!

      Delete
  2. ...Barbara, take care and be well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pottery looks good to me, but from my photo days, I understand that the market would be limited. People could like my photos, but where would they hang it in a 'finished' house?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I loved going to art shows and wanting a beautiful photo. Actually I have two propped up on shelves for want of wall space. Maybe if I got them into good frames...

      Delete
  4. I love your pottery, especially the dragons.
    We've been watching the pottery show on TV. Lotsa fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh those competitions are really fun, though of course bringing out the personalities between potters as well as their talents.

      Delete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.