Black Mountain

Lake Tomahawk July 24, 2024

Wednesday, July 24, 2024

New little dragon has joined the family

 


Dragon number 4

Number 3 and 4 sided by side. Dragon No. 3 is actually a Dra-duck-gon. I made that up.



Size doesn't matter until they sit next to one another!

------------------
Yesterday morning was apparently pyramid day. Look at this chart showing how the great pyramid was structured...which appeared at the top of my Facebook page today!



And then my newsletter, Open Culture brought an interesting article about the Grateful Dead playing at the pyramid and near the sphinx. No coincidences are there? Well they gave 3 clips on YouTube of the Dead playing...which of course I'm listening to right now. These recordings are great, much better than my many-times-copied cassette tapes of the 70s. I haven't ever been to a Dead concert, so I guess I'm not a real Deadhead, but I do enjoy their music.

In September of 1978, the Grateful Dead traveled to Egypt and played three shows at the Great Pyramid of Giza, with the Great Sphinx looking over their shoulders.

Logistically speaking, the concerts weren’t the easiest to stage. Rolling Stone reported that an “equipment truck got stuck in sand and had to be towed by camels.” Because the electricity in Egypt was an “a winkin’, blinkin’ affair,” Bob Weir later recalled, the jetlagged band had difficulties recording the first of the three shows. But, as with most adventures, the inconveniences were offset by the wondrous nature of the experience.

Here I shared..."the Dead performing “Ollin Arageed,” with Egyptian oudist Hamza el-Din and other local musicians, before seguing into “Fire on the Mountain.” The clip gives you a good feel for the awe-inspiring scene. Just above, we have a longer playlist of performances that took place on September 16, 1978 — the same night there was a lunar eclipse. The complete 9/16/78 show can be streamed on Archive.org, as can the shows from 9/14 and 9/15. A 2CD/1 DVD package (Rocking the Cradle: Egypt 1978) captures the Dead’s visit and can be purchased online. 




Today's quote:




8 comments:

  1. I am deadly grateful for this post.

    No?

    Sorry. I do try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fine with me. Your witticisms come from a place of good intentions, and lead toward wisdom!

      Delete
  2. I love your dragons, well done! I am all for truth and justice. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes to truth and justice, dragons, and wishing friends a good day! Much gratitude towards your comments Eileen!

      Delete
  3. Truth and justice is a good way to live. Love those dragons, very nice and very creative. A good day to you, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill. I hope your day was good too (since it's probably about over by now.)

      Delete
  4. My 2nd grandie is obsessed with dragons. She draws them all the time. This is wonderful!
    Thanks for being a faithful visitor to my blog. It's been lonely here. Take care.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to have your comments...whatever they may be. I'm one who likes to reply sometime or another, so others will see that; or you might happen back sometime and see what conversation might have started.